I need to get someone off my loan and title of the house. How do I do that?

I bought a house with my boyfriend and things havent worked out. I want to keep the house as sole owner, can I do anything now without being penalized? We havent even been there a month!!
  • March 19 2012 - Santee
  • 1

You can't just take someone off title. They have to willingly sign, be notarized and the title recorded.

Taking boyfriend off the loan (even in a divorce) is difficult. Sit with a loan officer who will run your mortgage credit report and
look at your tax returns past two years to see IF you could qualify alone. After you get a thumbs up how will you convince him to sign off? If he put the down payment just a month ago. Even selling is difficult if he's still on title, you will need his signatures

Re M sanchez - check your deed. How did lender modify the loan without his signatures? The modification would match. What does tax bill say? If you have equity in the property it would be worthwhile finding him, but how would you convince him to deed it to you? If he thinks there is equity and he was a dead beat as you represent he will ask for money. IF there is no equity, leave it alone.

Profile picture for m sanchez3116
Yes, I am now on a Modified home Loan for about 3yrs.  I also have been the only one paying for the home for 11yrs.  The person on the title has never paid one payment.  He also only lived here for about two years when we first lived at this home.  I have the modified home loan in my name only.  How do I get him off the title. I have not spoke to him in about 9yrs.  I don't know where he is and he has never paid child support because they can't locate him anywhere.  

Thank You,

Miss Sanchez

"where can I get help my credit is not that good "

That depends. How "not good" is your credit? Do you know your score?

Profile picture for rick pequeno
I am a home owner and I need to get a loan on it to improve my home where can I get help my credit is not that good 

If its due to a divorce, you can ask the lender to modify the note. You usually have to qualify on your own and its helpful if you show that you have made the payments for a while. I have seen clients do it like this in the case of a divorce without refinancing.

You will need to refinance the loan in your name only- make sure you are able to qualify for this. Other option would be to have boyfriend removed from title - caution he will still be liable for the mortgage debt .

You will need to Refinance and consider a few things
1. You need to qualify on your own with your income and credit.
Please call me if you would like to see what programs you qualify for

@user80293455:   To get your husband's name off the home loan, you must be eligible to refinance in your name only.     I'm surprised he signed a quit claim deed if you've not refinanced.

If you are not eligible for refinancing, perhaps it is time to sell the home.

I need to get my husband off my home loan.He hasn't resided in the home for over 5 years.I already did a quick deed and its done.I recently was laid off from my job and now receiving unemployment. I am trying to get a HFAP but they are making it so difficult.What's the best way to go about this.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
Do you think you will qualify on JUST your income and credit?

You should be able to refinance the house and remove your boy friend from the loan and title.  I would recommend waiting ninety days so that your loan officer is not penalized, he or she would have to pay back any compensation they were paid in connection with your loan.  If your loan is an FHA loan you will have to make six payments before you can streamline or refinance.  Hope that helps.

Profile picture for CA Direct Lending
If you qualify for the loan on your own, you should be able to refinance in just your own name.  This way you'll be the only one on Title and the loan.  

Chances are that you do not have a pre-payment penalty.  Your mortgage broker or banker may tell you that you need to wait 90 days or some other longer period, but unless your loan has a pre-payment penalty, you do not need to wait to refinance.