Profile picture for mlykm

I need to get the fair value of my home, where can I get the information?

• January 21 2010 - Sacramento
  • 0

Strange thing is, if you are claiming bankruptcy, many attorneys use Zillow as a reference for your home (being told it is a reliable source). This is actually a good thing, I guess from a homeowner prospective, because I find that Zillow is within range in this current market (01/01/2009). Since the market has been pretty much bottomed out in most of the markets and leveled for about 9 months in my neck of the woods, Zillow is catching up and will be flipping to the priced "to low" in the near future, if the housing market continues to increase in value.

All markets are local a freeway can make a difference. One side of the freeway can be recovering and in increasing. The other side of the freeway can be dead opposite.

I know many will want to argue that prices are down and the sky is falling. That is why you want to listen to an agent that actually works the front lines. An agent will know 6-months ahead of what the news agencies are reporting.

The media gets most of their information from Dataquick. Then they throw their spin on it. Look for their source in their articles, if they give them, and then go to that source. You will be amazed by the difference.

So here is one of my sources witch is still delayed from what I see everyday.

Click here to goto my source from Dataquick

Your best option, if you are going to sell your home is to hire a licensed appraiser for about $350 to $450, depending on what type of home you have. It could be a little more if you have a huge estate, nothing compared to the potential loss. This way you do not over price your home and sit on the market for months costing you tens of thousands of dollars when you finally get an offer or you choose to lower your price, or the other side of the coin is under selling your home, loosing thousands of potential dollars.

Agents from the area know their market and can tell if something is out of whack for the area. Don't mistake if your home flies off the market because of price. There are actually two sides of the coin. You will here "if you price it right, it will sell fast." Well it will also fly off the market if you under price it as well. An appraisal will help you sleep at night knowing you got what it was worth and something to fight with if the bank appraisal comes in low.

Most people feel their homes are better than their neighbors who sold down the street. In many cases this may or may not be the case. The market will determine that for you. And it could cost you tens of thousands of dollars if you are wrong.

Note: I am not an appraiser, I am an agent that has sold homes using both methods. Pricing your home $10-$20K above the market can kill your market edge.

Zillow does not give appraisals, but you can try going here Type your address in the empty box at the top of the page and hit the blue GO button. You should see a map and a value for your house if Zillow has it listed. 

A local Realtor in the area can give you lots more information about your market and tell also do a free comparative market report (CMA) for free if you are considering buying or selling soon. Hope the link helps. 

The most accurate way is to either pay for an appraisal, or to have an agent do a market analysis for you. Agents will do these for free for you and will compare your home to the comps. I can do this for you if you would like, just click on my picture to contact me with your address!

Tiffany Jones, REALTOR

The easiest way is to have a Realtor send you the most recent sales via email.   Email me at mm@BuySellHomesFolsom.com with your address and I will be happy to assist.

If you can send me your address, I will run comparable sales numbers for you.  Send me an email to kyle@kylegroves.com, and include condition, upgrades, etc.

Best,
Kyle