Profile picture for Ashaki

I need to have part of the roof replaced, what materials do I need & cost?

I have a leak in the master bedroom & need to replace that area of the roof and take down the popcorn ceiling which has already started to come down where the leak is.  Paint the
ceiling and walls. What kind of materials do I need for a partial roof replacement? I would like to purchase the materials myself, to keep the cost down. I know shingles, ( what is the supporting wood beam called? & how is it sold?$) Someone quoted me $1000.00 up front for supplies, I looked on Home Depot's website & it's no were near that. I hate paying any money upfront. I have been burnt too many times in the past. The total cost quoted was $2,300.00. If I could buy the materials and save $1000.00 that would be great! I have taxes to pay!!!! help!!!
  • April 20 2011 - US

Profile picture for Gregg Whitney
Under law you are only supposed to pay ~3% of the cost of the job.  I think you are talking about the joists. It is based on the squares, i.e. how many squares is my roof (which is how they measure feet or sq. ft of a roof). Once you have the material you can say you have a certain number of squares to get a quote.

I agree with wetgawgs. He got most of the materials covered and
a poor repair will lead to further issues. If you are not familiar with roof repairs and construction you may want to hire a qualified roofer/contractor.

There may be electrical wire that may need to be moved or re-routed to perform the repairs.

Also how old is the roof?

Is this just a temporary fix. Remember your roof is the first line of defense for moisture intrusion into the home.

I know there are a lot of less than professional contractors out there, but there are some very good one also who will do the work right.
Another suggestion is  to contact a tradesman such as an electrician or plumber and ask them for references for contractors they would use.

The materials could include plywood, tar paper, shingles, roofing nails.  If rot has extended into any beams, fascia etc they would need to be replaced also.   You may also need some flashing and sealing compound.   It all depends on what needs to be done.

A poorly repaired roof can be a very bad thing

If the popcorn ceiling has started to fall off due to the leak, you may find there is sufficient damage in the sheet rock (if on sheet rock) that it also needs to be replaced.  You will need to check the beams above the sheet rock to see if rot has started, and probably redo the insulation.