Profile picture for docdane

I plan on switching realtors. Do I need to send a "break-up" letter to my old one?

• January 22 2011 - Penfield
  • 0

most listing agents will bring up the conversation of re-listing as your contracting is coming to an end.
are you expiring or are you hoping to terminate mid-contract.?
if you are terminating while still in contract with your agent, you must formally ask for an 'unconditional release'. without that form, you are obligated to your realtor for the agreed upon commision should your home sell prior to the expiration of your agreement.

if you are expiring, you can have a conversation about your concerns at that time or before.
if there is anything that you felt should have been done, but was not, it is best to communicate your expectations from the time your agent signed your home up as a listing and throughout, why wait until it comes time for you to expire.?  you have then wasted the whole listing time while you may have been able to get your home sold by now.!

i am not sure why you are not pleased with your current agent's performance, however, when interviewing for an agent be sure to get the current market statistics for your area.

including homes that have recently sold, homes that are currently on the market (your competition), homes that are currently under contract (were at a price point to entice an offer to lead to contract) and homes that have expired (as they were unable to sell most commonly by being overpriced).

best regards,
Lisa

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

If you have an agency agreement with them you need a formal document to dissolve /release it.  Otherwise it is a courtesy to just let them know you will be working with someone else.  I wouldn't spend a lot of energy on telling them all the reasons you don't like them or be so nice and letting them down easy that they start trying to  fix the situation if they can't.   Make it like ripping off a band aid so there's no desire to stick around but give them enough info that they know what to do differently in the future. However...if it fixable, then make that clear too, a misunderstanding would be a terrible reason to drop someone after investing time with them.

If you have no written agreement then you don't have to do anything. Just start working w/the new one and see if the old one even notices.

Yes. You need to put the reasons that you want to terminate their services in writing. If you have signed a contract for representation with them, you also need their agreement to release you from that in writing. 

Profile picture for km9
  • km9
Just send an email.  Point out what pissed you off.  I had a worthless agent in the beginning that was referred to me by a coworker (terrible idea btw).  She would contact me out of the blue with "I have some time to look at houses, do you want to set up an appointment?"  She worked with me at her convenience.  She told me that I could not buy short sale properties because she had never sold one and once I put an offer in, I was locked with them for up to 6 months.  Strong ignorance that I figured out later.

Are you talking about a listing agent or a buyer's agent?

One definitely involves contractual issues (which can usually be resolved through the broker who actually "owns" the listing) and the other sometimes does as some agents use exclusive buyer agency agreements.

Your post would indicate to me that you are talking about a buyer's agent that you have no signed contract with.  Yes, out of courtesy it would be a good idea to send a "break up" letter.  If there are specific performance issues which have led you to this decision make sure you include all of those because I know for myself personally, I would want to know where I fell short.

Profile picture for Susan Bradley
Yes. To be released from a listing agreement an unconditional release must be obtained IN WRITING from your listing agent.