Profile picture for Dianehall49

I recently purchased a condo. I was stupid enough not to demand disclosures. Can I still get them??

Is it mandatory in California to provide a disclosure list to the buyer, even if the buyer's agent says, "Oh, you don;t need those, you can see what nice shape the place is in."?

I trusted her, signed the final papers and moved in. but just a few days  later a workman told me there is  water damage around the bathtub and the whole thing should be replaced. There are also some light switches that don;t work, glass panes falling out of the kitchen cabinet doors, etc.

Do I have a legal right to have had disclosure of this from the seller? Can I still go back to the  seller, and/or my agent and complain about this?

• April 10 - Richmond
  • 0

Profile picture for Dianehall49
Thank you so much for the information! 
  • April 12

The best advice I can give you is, gather all of your contract paperwork, loan information and contact an attorney.  In my area there is a specific section in the purchase contract that deals with seller's disclosures.  When purchasing a condo, the rule of thumb I stick by is, the more information the better.  There are a lot of rules and restrictions that can apply when purchasing as a co-owner in a condominium.  Who is responsible for damages, the condo association or the owner, should be outlined in the Master Deed.  All of this information, including disclosures, should have been provided to you prior to closing on the property.  If you did not receive this, you probably need to consult with an attorney to find out what rights you have at this point.  Good luck!
  • April 11