I signed a contract to sell my home but would like to get out of it. I live in Georgia. Can I?

• April 13 2012 - Dacula
  • 0

Your question it is not clear. Is this a signed listing contract where you have agreed to allow a broker to represent you in the sale of your home or is this if a signed a sales contract, agreeing to sell your home to a buyer who made offer on your home? Anyway, your question appears legal in nature, you may want to contact an attorney.

Profile picture for brendawells824
Hi user144525,

I assuming that you have a buyer for your home and that you are under contract. If my assumption is wrong I appoligize. Once you have an accepted contract for purchase on your house and then don't want to go through with the sale. It's possible for the buyer to sue you for breach of contract. I would contact a realestate attorney and see what avenues you could take to void this happening. And really depends on why you are not wanting to continue with the sale.

If you only have a listing agreement with an agent. You could contact the agent and let them know reasons why you are not wanting to sell your home at this time. If all else fails contact the Broker of the listing agent.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on the results.

You do not provide enough information to make a suggestion.  Did you write the offer yourself, did the listing agent do it for you, do you have a buyer agent....?  we do not know the terms, or the lenght of time since you made the offer.  Your best bet at this point is to meet with a real estate attorney, not any regular attorney, but a real estate attorney.  Good luck! 

Did you sign a listing agreement with an agent or a sales contract to sell the home?

With either, read the contract language carefully and if there is any questions contact a real estate attorney. I say real estate attorney rather than a regular attorney since re attorneys interpret these contracts everyday and are familiar with the local laws and practices.