Profile picture for d e eicher

I sold my home 7 months ago....

And agreed to pay for a home warranty for the buyers. Apparently, through no fault of my own a warranty wasn't provided to them. They are now asking me to pay. So....1. Legally do I have to? And 2. Morally, what should I do?
  • April 04 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Trevolyn Haines
Wetdawg is right: first make sure escrow didn't charge you and if you were not, give the buyers the agreed payment for the home warranty.

Did you have an agent? Typically the buyers agent orders the home warranty but the listing agent could have down it as well; either way, escrow should have notified both of them that a warranty needed to be ordered when it came time to close the transaction.

It is possible that the buyers are contacting you now because they need something repaired and like any insurance company, it may be improbable to start the insurance after you have a problem and get said problem covered retroactively.

You agreed in writing?    then, pull out your closing docs to see if you were charged for it at closing.  If not, step up to the plate and pay or go visit your attorney and ask for legal advice.