Profile picture for janann007

I sold my house and 3 weeks later my R.E. lawyer told me I got $14,750 in overage & he wants it back

I can't find where the overage is. I got back exactly the amount I had expected from the sale. Any suggestions of where I can get someone to help me resolve this. I am not an accountant or a lawyer or a R.E. broker, so I don't know if this is possible to happen? You would think that with 2 lawyers (for seller & buyer) present at the closing and a Wells Fargo team of professionals doing all the paperwork someone would have discovered such a big $$ mistake before or at the closing.
Thanks for your answers.
  • December 17 2010 - Marlborough
  • 0

This is incredible. In my 6+ years I have never seen nor heard of this type of mistake. I agree with all the posts here. If there is a corrected HUD you should compare the two and see what the difference is. Also this attorney should be telling you exactly what the difference is. A number that high would make me think it has to do with an inaccurate loan payoff or perhaps a HELOC that had a balance on it and wasnt properly recorded on the HUD.

Profile picture for Mills Realty
All the accounting is on the HUD.  If there is a corrected HUD then be sure to have an independent person review it before you agree to send back any funds.

Also more than likely as part of the closing the buyer & seller each sign a document stating that in the case of a paperwork error both parties agree to work together to right the situation. But I do agree with the previous post. Consult with your CPA or another attorney to review the HUD closing worksheet given to you at the closing and the new "corrected" one for comparison.

Profile picture for Mheisler2
You need to look at the HUD that was done at close, and the "corrected" HUD.  The differences should outline where the mistake was.  Based on that, you should be able to determine if it's legit.  The best way to get assistance would be ANOTHER lawyer.  Sorry, but you need one without a dog in the fight, so to speak.