I submitted an application

I submitted an application for a condo rental on a Sunday, with the impression, given by the agent showing the property, that the realty and landlord was accepting apps first come first serve. She told me that I was the first. So my question is, if I was the first, why and how was another applicant application submitted? I asked the realty co and he told me he didnt check his email on the weekend, ( I submitted my email Saturday night, response Sunday) he also said that when he opened his email the both of our applications were there, so he submitted both of them. How and Why? with out informing me of the other application before submitting it? Also, they are leaving it up to the landlord himself which is no problem at but I just feels some kind of shady to me? I spoke with the agent who showed the unit and they said that the other applicant is now wanting to up the rent! $150! I told them to just let the landlord decide, I wont compete in that way, because I thought and knew I was the only applicant at that time. The Co. said they usually process the application and whatnot and dismiss if they have to and move on to the next, I am feeling some kind of way about this, what do you think?? 
  • August 14 2012 - Fairfax

I can hear your frustration, but a landlord/property management agency can chose any way they wish (within confines of the fair housing act) to review and select applicants.  

May all go well.