I want to "Sell by Owner". Can i legally offer to gift or credit the purchaser the %5 down payment.

I want to "sell by owner".  For a quick sale I was hoping to offer the purchaser the 5% down payment, 2,500 in closing cost and welcome realtors at 3%.  Is this feasable.  Can I legally offer to pay/gift the 5% down?  Thanks.
  • October 24 2012 - Indianapolis

You certainly can offer these incentives, but if you plan on raising the selling price to compensate for your incentives you may price the property above the apprasial value.  Why not just lower the price?

I have different commission programs available to home sellers that would cost you less money than you are willing to spend right now to sell your home all by yourself, in addition to more marketing to potential home buyers too.   Please feel free to contact me at any time for additional information.  Best of luck to you in selling your home!

Stephanie Kimble

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
I believe you can "offer" anything. I do think the lender for the buyer will have a problem if you pay the down payment, BUT you can offer it all day long.

Tim

No, you can't give the buyers the down payment.   You can offer the other items