Profile picture for kammapatha

I want to buy a building that comes with a lot. Can I sell this or donate to the city as a garden

I'm interested in buying a building that comes with a large lot. I would like to keep and use 600 sq/ft of the lot and then would like to sell or donate the remaining 1000sq/ft to the town for use as a community garden.

Do city's buy land from private owners? I don't want it to become a condo building or anything like that.

Is there a tax incentive for donations of this kind?
  • December 17 2011 - Boston
  • 1

I suggest that you discuss this offer with the individual in charge of Planning.  He/she could give you good advice and guide you as to how to subdivide it, if possible.

Profile picture for Cambridge Agent
Well this is a tough question.  I do not know what part of the city you are planning on purchasing the lot in nor the current neighborhood.  It would be best to head to town hall and discuss your plans with the city.   I would think there may be several options from the city accepting a donation or possibly a neighborhood association that may want to utlize the greenspace.