I want to know if a mirror hung in my bathroom on a nail is considered attached.

Can I take the mirror??

June 13 2012 - US

Bathroom mirrors are written in the Greater Tulsa Area contracts. I think the idea is that they WERE typically permenantly attached, but since the designs have changed you still owe the buyer a mirror.

l am trying to develop the habit of asking sellers to remove and replace the bathroom mirrors before we list the home so that it isn't an issue later.

I had this happen in a transaction recently.  The sellers had a decorative vanity mirror that they wanted to move with them, but it was not detailed in the listing that the mirror would not convey.  It fit the decor, was "affixed" to the wall - did not jump out to me as something that would be in question.

The day of the walk through we faced an ugly blank space on the wall - and because there were other repair issues to be dealt with my purchasers and I decided that we did not want to fight about the mirror - but I can tell you that this soured the entire transaction for them - they thought it was petty - and that if the sellers wanted the mirror they should have said so up front.  There was tension in the air at the settlement table - to me it all seemed very childish.

I agree with the other agents who recommend packing the mirror and replacing it with something that will convey and save your buyers the hassle of getting a bathroom mirror installed when they are trying to unpack and enjoy their new  home.

Get your agent to show you what "attached" means in the contract terms. The buyer probably expects the mirror. If it is not attached legally and it is not mentioned in the contract the buyer could be disappointed if they expect the mirror.

I do not see the difference in having a mirror hanging by a nail and a picture frame hanging by a nail. Ask your agent what they see here. Then ask them to justify it showing what the contract terms mean.

As others have suggested...

1. List it as an exclusion on the listing
2. Take it down now and put up an ordinary mirror and wrap it for the coming move to avoid issues

BUT... I recommend that clients leave as much as they can. Often a new home won't have a place for the mirror in question - and certainly window treatments are unlikely to fit.

You're selling your home for hundreds of thousands of dollars, why not carve out some money to find the right mirror for your new house to avoid issues and make your home look as good as possible?

If you have not sold your property already, I suggest that you disclose on your property disclosure document that you will be taking the mirror.  You may want to replace it with an ordinary bathroom mirror, but it needs to be disclosed prior to selling the property.

Bathroom mirror problems should be averted at the time of listing contract so it is written in when asked if there is anything not going with the house that is nailed down.  The problem is this day and age a mirror in the bathroom may not be nailed down.  So the answer is to take it down entirely before listing and replacing with one that you aren't attached to.
 Although technically the mirror isn't attached most buyers expect the mirror in a bathroom to stay and may cause issues with the final walk thru.     If its to late then you may have to leave it to avoid issues.  Talk with the buyers agent and have them talk with the buyers about the mirror.  Then see if you can come to a mutual consent about the mirror. If not then perhaps the mirror should stay so the closing goes smooth.

Profile picture for csander2
It should not be consider attached, but on the other hand all bathrooms comes with a mirror if I where you I take the mirror off and attached the whole wall mirror this way it looks good and you do not have to take if off the bathroom ever again. This way it is perment fixture.
Hope this helps.

Can I take the mirror??

Yes, but or course you may be arrested sometime in the future.....

Ever since this design trend started,many a seller has been caught off guard. The funny thing is if the mirror was hung in another room there would be no problem, it would be considered personal property. Being it is in the bathroom it is perceived as an entirely different issue! If you are NOT in contract and you LOVE and MUST have the mirror, replace it . If you already shot pictures with that mirror, disclaim it in the listing for other agents .This way no one thinks you switched it out before closing. If you ARE in contract ,ask you agent ,if you have one, to ask the buyers if they mind, Sometimes it can be more hassle than it is worth. I have had sellers that had an antique mirror or was one of a kind piece. If it has great worth financially or emotionally, then you will have to find a solution to compensate them..even if it is not perceived as " fair" You help set the tone of the entire transaction. So depending on where you are in your transaction ( if in contract) you want to keep things easy and light hearted. Do not get bogged down on this, give up what you need to if the mirror is really worth it to you. If you insist on " it is a personal item and I am taking it" remember you still have an inspection,appraisal and many more hoops to jump through until closing. If you can buy another one..I wouldn't even say anything,,I would just leave it. Best of luck ,Suzie

While a mirror hanging on a nail doesn't sound as if it is attached, people expect a bathroom to come with a mirror.  So, if you love the current mirror and want to take it, I'd take it down now (hopefully) before the house is on the market and replace it with an okay mirror.      If you already have an offer on the house, please work with your agent to resolve this issue.