Profile picture for Scubadiver100

I want to remove my home from Zillow...how do I do it? It's not obvious on the website!

• February 23 2012 - Springfield
  • 1

Profile picture for workabee
"Realtors and Appraisers know their zestimate data is almost always way off."

Yeah. Just like appraisers know that realtors are way off. Don't believe me ask them.

Profile picture for Neil R
  • Neil RZillow
Hi Scubadiver100 -

If you are referring to the Make Me Move listing you set last 2008, you can cancel it by going to the home details page, hover over "Edit" and click "Remove Make Me Move". The public information about your property will still remain on the site though since we don't remove them.

Neil

@Scubadiver: It looks as if you set a Make Me Move price in march 2008.   to remove it, open the home details page, go to edit and click on remove make me move as seen below:

Zillow only presents data that are publicly accessible from our government offices.

Profile picture for Scubadiver100
Actually my situation is somewhat simpler...about 4 years ago my wife and I were considering selling our home.  We stumbled on Zillow one day and decided to list our home "just for the heck of it".  We eventually decided NOT to sell our home, and had already forgotten we had our home on Zillow.  Recently someone contacted us and asked what was wrong with our house since it had been on the market for 1400+ days, (referring to the Zillow listing). We will probably move at some point in the future, but at this point we have no plans, so I wanted to take it off Zillow.  There is actually a short video on the site that tells you how to cancel a listing, but I don't recognize any of the pages they are using for examples, so I've been unable to cancel it.  I think maybe the page format on Zillow has changed since those "how-to" help videos were made.  
And yes, I think it is a huge infringement that Zillow can somehow have all of this private information out there.  I can't quote legalities, precedents, or realty law, but from a common sense perspective and a privacy perspective I don't like it at all.  It's practices like this that cross the line that will eventually bring the government into the argument, unfortunately. 

@John:  Perhaps we should propose regulation of CMAs and appraisals to the same level as you are proposing for AVMs.  With personal experience on the receiving end of CMAs, I've discovered they are not better than Zestimates or numbers from other AVMs.   In fact, I consider them worse because the agents (in general) are not will to present the back up statistics for their CMAs so that I can keep them in perspective.   Zillow presents their statistics and presents a value range, should all CMAs come with the same I'd be more comfortable.

John, what about all of the other AVM's? As it stands, a person could look at a dozen if not more easy to find ones. Do you propose owners should be able to hide them all? Should owners be the only ones with that option? What about buyers who believe the AVM is too high...and it hurts their bargaining position? 

Let's say I decide to go around saying what I think homes are worth. Should the owners (or buyers for that matter) be able to restrict my speech?

Profile picture for JohnWilt
Scubadiver,  You raised some interesting points.  There really should be a way to 'opt out' of the 'Zestimate'. Why?  True, Zillow uses public data but this is only as good as the data entry and if often wrong. Starting with bad data and adding disfunctional algorithms (Zillow's) leads to even more inacurate data.  Zillow distorts bad data further when they make 'assumptions' through their private formulas.  For examle, lets say you drink beer.  Because you are under 30 they may assume you drink more beer that you would if you were 50 years old. It does not even consider the possibility that you do not drink at all! The Zillow 'zestimates' do not account for the difference of school districts, proximity to a train, the condition of the property or even the individual neighborhood. Zillow assumes that your place is 'no better' than the foreclosures, short sales or non arm's length sale (ie selling to family). Realtors and Appraisers know their zestimate data is almost always way off. Unfortunately, the mis informed public (remember bad data, bad formula's) leads the buyers to believe just about everything is overpriced.  I would bet there are 100 or more homes showing a value way below market for every 1 that is either accurate or show above market.  So, here's your chance to change it.  Contact your local Congressman or Senator Dillard's and Kirk's office to make them aware of the problem. You may get a bill named after you!  Having public data available is one thing. When someone makes assumptions about you (the beer drinking) or your place that are totally inaccurate with no way for you to challenge it is bad for everyone.  There really should be a way for homeowners to 'opt out' of a zestimate.

Yours did though

The post doesn't mention the zestimate.

@scubadiver100

It's a serious issue that zillow can cyber trespass on your property the way they do with unwanted and unwarranted zestimates and nothing you can do about it. Their BS argument that they are using public record information fails the basic credibility test when they add their zestimate, which is their best guess based on a flawed and untested algorithm, and very poor data integrity.

It is time our legislators caught up with technology and introduced regulation to protect homeowners from this nonsense.

Zillow says:
Can I remove my home information from the site?

No. The information we provide is public information, gathered from county records. By having access to information about other people's homes you ultimately know more about your own. This amount of information levels the playing field and leads to a more efficient real estate marketplace, which is one reason most government entities make home information public. We use detailed information on as many homes in the U.S. as possible to calculate home Zestimates and to enable you to create your own estimates of market value.

You can read more here: http://www.zillow.com/wikipages/Home-Facts-Information/