Profile picture for vsvann01

I want to sale my home after one year of ownership for a larger home. What process do I take?

October 04 2011 - Fayetteville

What you might do is call a big firm, like mine and ask one of the agents if they know of anyone who wants to downsize to your home property, see if you can work up a trade...small percentage of that happening, but its worth trying.

assuming your current mortgage does not restrict you from selling your current home so soon, follow the standard procedure.

Thats really a short period of time. Potential home buyers will be concerned that you are selling because of an issue with the property.  Absolutely talk to a local realtor or hire an appraiser to find out what its current day value is before going forward. 
Thats a quick  turn around, even in a great market it would be difficult to make a profit.

If you are comfortable with the previous agent then by all means call them up and give them a chance to list your home.  Things to consider there, they already know your property and area.  If they did a good job in negotiating, you can more than likely find a deal on a larger home.  Since it is a recent purchase you should be able to account for your losses on the larger property.  A good professional can show you possibilities that could offset your losses.  Money is definitely not your only consideration, but it can be minimized in YOUR decision making process.  As Dan says, you are more than likely going to lose some money by moving so soon.  However, by it being new construction you may actually make money.  If that is the case you might want to talk to that tax pro as Sinead stated.

Listing a home does not mean that it is sold.  You can list the home and search and look for your dream home.  Contingencies!  Best of luck on your decision.  I agree with Steve, with a lil correction...  "it's a matter of Dollars and Sense  "   Good educated sense!

Start with evaluating the wisdom of making such a move and how you stand to benefit, if at all.

After 22 years in the real estate business I would normally have said this is a losing proposition. However in this market??? It all comes down to dollars and cents for you and is it worth it!
First, talk to a Realtor and see where you stand.

If you sell you will almost certainly lose a fair amount of money. Check into putting an addition on your house. It may (or may not) be a better option. Contractors will often give a free quote.

The first step is to call a realtor. A realtor will be able to prepare an analysis of comparable houses sold to establish how much your home is worth. Once, you decide on a price you can determine if you are up to the challenge of trying to sell your house on your own or use a realtor.

You will want to sell your home before trying to find another home. Chances are, you will find a home that you fall in love with and it will be sold before you have sold your home. Unless, you can afford 2 homes a bank will not lend you money till you sell your current home.

You can contact me if you want further information. If you live outside of Michigan I can find a great Realtor for you from my database.

Vanessa MacDonald
Tremaine Real Living Real Estate
[phone number deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please refer to our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for vsvann01

This was a new construction built in 2010 3br 2ba. I thought it was a great starter home but after having a child and not having enought space; my husband and I feel like the house will be tosmall for a growing family. I plan on using an agent. Is it ok to use the same agen that helped us purchase this home? I just don't know if it is worth it to move now or wait a few years?

And don't forget to consult with a tax professional regarding capital gains tax, since you have only been in your home for 1 year....

Are you planning to do this "for sale by owner" (FSBO) or with the assistance of an agent? 

Please be aware that selling has considerable costs, plan on approx 6% for the agents plus transfer taxes and other transfer fees. (it may add up to 10% or more)