Profile picture for zachgabay

I want to sell a house: no direct water line.

The house I would like to sell used to be attached to another house.  The water meter for my house is in the other house.  The other house has two water meters, one dedicated to my house and one dedicated to their house.  In other words, there is no direct water line to my house. 

For many years, the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) has been billing the neighboring house for the water meter assigned to my house.  They pay the PWD directly, and I pay them back.

I spoke with the PWD (casually) and they said they do not have a problem with the current configuration, however, they suggested discussing the situation with a real estate agent to understand what other concerns might arise before selling the house.  They mentioned something about a tax-related concern, which I'm not sure I understand.

Thank you for any info!
  • August 05 - Philadelphia
  • 0

I would contact a local Real Estate Attorney for some advice on how to handle this matter. Good Luck!
  • August 05

Often, properties configured this way are on one parcel. I don't believe you can sell a property that shares a parcel with another.
  • August 05

If the home is not deeded to it's own separate parcel with it's own tax identification number there is no government insured program out there. You would need to have the home deeded to it's own parcel of land and have the home attached directly to water and sewer (metered).
  • August 05