I want to sell my home

Is it advisable to put it on the market myself?
  • December 17 2013 - Buckeye
  • 0

Best Answer

Hello. There are many people who have sold themselves. You have to figure out if you have the right personality, knowledge and property type to successfully FSBO before you decide whether or not to try it.

I would take a look at Rockinblu's blog about his FSBO experience for tips and information. He sold himself and has good information for people considering it. If you decide want to hire an agent instead, there are many good professionals on Zillow to choose from. Hope the link helps.

Thank you to those that took the time to respond with data, research references, and thought-provoking questions. I found those responses helpful.

"Marvelousrealtor". Your assumption that greed is the motivation for my question is offensive.

I completely understand sellers who feel capable of undertaking the sale as a FSBO, especially as they are thinking of saving money.  Unfortunately, many buyers of FSBOs automatically offer 4-6% less than asking  price, assuming that you can afford to give up that money because you haven't hired an agent.

Before you begin, ask yourself honestly how much time you have to devote to marketing and showing your own home, and if you are the type of person who can ask prospective buyers those hard, qualifying questions - especially about finances. 

Some tips:

Tip 1:   FSBO can certainly be done, if you have the right attitude and are willing to do the due diligence.  Rockinblu's blog is where I'd start, but you've already received the link.

Tip 2:  There are many people who make real estate their career, and one of those individuals may bring you a buyer.   Hence, dealing with those individuals politely and respectfully is likely to be to your benefit.

Tip 3:  Before taking NAR "statistics" to heart, read the disclaimers (not provided in the post).   For example, if a FSBO uses a flat fee MLS listing, NAR does not consider it a FSBO.   

Okay, tell us more what you've done to get ready?  

"Let me rephrase- is there anyone who has sold their own home with some tips?"

So - what you want is for consumers/fsbo's  to respond and give you help/tips on what you can do to sell your home on your own?

OK, but......., coming to a site like Zillow, where agents and lenders are plentiful, and  are solicited daily to pay to be here, why would you think there are that many  consumers, perusing the site, who were successful fsbo's -  in selling their own homes -  to give you advice?

Naturally, you will get more agents than consumers  responding........and naturally some will give a "sales pitch", but that's to be expected - nothing to take offense at.

However, you also got some  (imo) solid advice about what you need to do to prepare or arm yourself to go down that fsbo road if you so choose.

I'd be more interested in hearing how much due diligence you have already done......are you just at the beginning of learning about the process - is this your first step, asking for "tips" online, here?

Or, have you already gotten solid information (refer back to my original questions)...... are close to taking that big step..... and you are just looking for additional "tips" before you start the process?

Just trying to help here......I have no skin in your game as they saying goes!

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
"I expect real estate professionals to recommend using an agent. Judgmental comments about assumed motives are not helping your case. Just saying"

I'm no where near Arizona so why would I make "judgmental comments about assumed motives" and I'm not presenting a case.  You posted in an open forum therefore you will get opinions that vary.

Your assumption that responders to your question have a hidden agenda is offensive. 

If you have the gumption to sell your home yourself go for it but do your due diligence first and seriously consider the advice of people who are honestly trying to help.... rather than take an negative stance and paint with a broad brush

Profile picture for SoldByAvery

Before you try FSBO, check out these FSBO Facts:

85% of FSBO's end up listing with a Realtor.

Of the 15% that "successfully" sell FSBO:

FSBO homes sell for 11% less then comparative properties listed with Realtors, on average. (Realtors commission is typically 6-7%. Do the Math)

FSBO transactions take 7 months longer to close.

FSBO's spent $2,500 more on inspection repairs then listings represented by Realtors.

40% said they knew the Buyer of their home personally before the transaction.

Only 14% sold their home in the time the budgeted.

Only 13% said they had enough time to devote to the sale.

63% said the FSBO process impeded with work.

77% said it impeded with time spent with their family.

Source: 2012 Profile of Buyers and Sellers, NAR Research

[Content removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy]

Have you ever bought or sold property before?  What is your background and available time to show the property?

Let me rephrase- is there anyone who has sold their own home with some tips? I expect real estate professionals to recommend using an agent. Judgmental comments about assumed motives are not helping your case. Just saying

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
You will need disclosure forms and an RPA, minimally.  You will also need, eventually, an escrow company, title company. 

You are better off hiring an agent.  You will be glad you did in the end.  You won't be saving that much money.  Don't let greed dictate your decision.  This is a business decision so base it upon good business sense.

Have you considered using an agent to help you sell your home?  I have extensive recommendations from my clients on my Zillow profile and I would be happy to help you getting your home sold for top fair market value.  How soon should I expect to hear back from you about getting your home on the market?

that depends..........are you at all knowledgeable with what is involved in selling a home?

Do  you know how to obtain accurate comparable closed sales? How about competitive active listings?
You need that sort of information in order to come up with a reasonable expectation of a sale price - and a list price.

Do you know what a sales contract looks like - what to ask for as far as deposits go? - what contingencies to include - how to make sure a buyer is qualified?

Do you know what goes into a home inspection, and how to negotiate repair requests?

Do you know about disclosure laws/requirements? C of O requirements?

OK.....you get my point - the list is long, and I could go on.

So................If you said "yes" to all of the above.......then you might be prepared to try and market your home on your own.

If not, you better start doing your due diligence............. and/or list it with an agent.

Best wishes...........

I agree with Kristin. If you are not very familiar with the process and contracts, you may do more damage than the money you "save".

Profile picture for KristinMoon
I would certainly contact a real estate professional if you are not familiar with the process.