I was court ordered to leave my name home loan after I divorced. Ex defaulted on loan.

She now has sold house. How can I get my credit cleared up. We have been divorce for 13 years. That loan is the only neg of my credit. I am trying to refi for lower interest rate. Fannie May and Freddy Mac only see the later and not the court order.
What can I do?
  • November 07 2012 - Murrieta
  • 0

Having done Credit & Collections in a past life, I can tell you I have seen courts order all kinds of things with divorces. Unfortunately, creditors only care about what is on their contracts. You can add a comment to your credit report, but that means little.

A court order in a divorce is an order for actions of the two individuals in the divorce (i.e. the husband and wife).  A court order does not remove a name from the loan.  As long as a name is on the loan that individual is responsible for the loan.   In an ideal world, the person who keeps the house would refinance immediately after the court order.  In the real world, usually the party who wants their name removed from the loan has to force the issue.     What you've learned from Fannie and Freddie is standard.   So, unfortunately at this stage all you can do is recognize you missed some steps at the time of the divorce. 

Perhaps you could sue the ex, talk to your attorney.