Profile picture for Mohawk60

I was recently told by a realtor that she couldn't show my home to a prospective buyer because it's

not listed on the MLS.  Is that correct?
  • April 11 2012 - Medford Lakes
  • 0

Profile picture for blue screen exile
It is "correct", I strongly dislike buyer agent agreements and won't sign one unless I rewrite it to my terms instead of the agent's terms.

And the MLS clearly defines what the selling agent commission will be.  There is no confusion about it.  Usually somewhere between 2% and 3.5%, unless it is a low priced item, and then it will be a fixed fee, or a fixed fee plus percentage.

If it is only "FSBO" on Zillow, the only thing it states about commission on the home details page is "Note: owner will work with buyer's agents" which implies the selling agent must negotiate the fee with the seller before the offer is made.

So it would not be too unexpected for a selling agent to discuss the fee arrangement when calling to schedule a showing.

I don't know if it would be helpful to list a selling agent commission on a Zillow home details page or not.  There is a possibility that would scare away some potential buyers, or may mean that a buyer coming without an agent would automatically expect to ask for that much off the price in addition to any other reductions they were planning on making in the offer.

Most of the responses so far are spot on. Dennis sounds like a great Realtor by the way, and every agent should have the same mentality if they are truly representing their buyer's best interests.

While you said it is stated clearly that you are willing to work with buyers agents, is it clear what the commission that you are offering is? Is it equal to what is typically offered on the MLS in your area?

A lot of comments about different possibilities, and guesses about motive.

The comments about marketing really don't pertain to this question as much.  FSBO is just a status of an owner accepting most of the work on their own shoulders.  All I can say is, good luck and hopefully it fits their situation.

As far as showing a house, real estate agent is a business.  That simply means that the effort and time has to be worthwhile.  That said, any agent who doesn't doesn't cover arrangements for their commission, has certainly skipped important preliminaries.  I work very hard for my clients, with one main goal, "to get them into a house to fit their needs".  Any property listed in the MLS is going to have a commission to cover my efforts.  A FSBO may or may not have planned ahead or even understood the importance of paying a commission for agents to flock to their door.  For me and my clients, I show then any property, anywhere in the state, anytime that works, under any condition.  The only requirement is the property must meet my clients' needs.  A FSBO with no commission, due to a lack of knowledge, is fine, due to my agency agreement covers a payment for my services.  No commission by the seller just means the buyer is paying the commission.  The hardest misunderstanding is, the seller is a FSBO to avoid paying commissions and the buyer now has to reduce the offer to compensate for the commission the buyer is still paying. 

Agents who don't work with preset agreements, are definitely not working smart.  I never want to back up and redefine an agreement in the middle of finding the right house.  I only want to concentrate on finding the best deal for my clients.

Long way to explain.....any house, whether MLS, FSBO, Auction, REO, Short sale, etc, is prime for showing if the property fits the clients' needs.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Best of Luck Mohawk60...hope you are on the receiving end of Multiple Offers ;)

Profile picture for Mohawk60
Hey, Tug.

I did list through a flat-fee service a couple of years ago. May do so again.

THX.

60Mohawk

Profile picture for Mohawk60
WOW! Thanks again for the great responses.  I am encouraged by the positive advice. I have bought and sold several homes via realtors and I understand how the system works.  I just wanted to make sure there was not an unwritten rule among realtors that I should be aware of.  As FSBO, I chose Zillow as my marketing vehicle; as well as, a lockbox and FOR SALE sign.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
The Agent was Prospecting imo..probably ain't seen a Buyer in a Month of Sundays

A fairly noticeable number of Agents post here they would never show an FSBO blah blah blah never work with blah blah..
They are fools & not worth spending much time on imo

If you've made it clear you're willing to work with Agents ect & Agents really represent/work for/help attain the goals of those they say they represent then they have no excuse for not showing your property to their Client..
Sounds to me like that Agent is a fool

Is there a reason you did not go Flat-Fee and place it on the MLS?...Just Curious

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
ignore my previous response.
I don't know how I  responded to this before and understood it perfectly and then transitioned to thinking you were a buyer that wanted to see a FSBO.

still

they can show it.
sorry for the confused response.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Many Realtors are used to using their Sepra Lock Box access device to gain access to the key in the Sepra Lock Box.  If FSBO, you likely don't even have a lock box on the front door, or if so, it is a combination box instead of that fancy electronic box.

All it takes is a phone call to get the information for access and coordinate a showing time.  The agent can easily do that if they want to help their client(s) find the right house.

It is more likely the Realtor that called doesn't have a buyer, but was only fishing for listings...  Any agent that calls FSBO's to try gain clients is obviously desperate for work, so you should be polite, but tell them that you are not interested in having another listing agent, and that if they have a client that would like to see the property, you would assist with the scheduling of a showing and providing access, and otherwise they should put their offer in writing.

You might want to read this blog about FSBO by someone that did that on Zillow:
Thinking About doing a FSBO?

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
just encourage your agent to get guidance from their broker and go see it!
or if they insist that they won't then don't let an agent be the reason you don't get the house you want.   Hopefully Terry's right they are just a newbie and will get the info needed to help you with the fsbo.

It sounds like a noob. An experienced agent will show and sell the home if their buyers are interested in it. The agent may not have been clear about your offer of compensation, or is just affraid of the additional work involved with working a FSBO.

Profile picture for Mohawk60
Thanks to all for your replies.  It is stated very clearly on Zillow that, as the owner of the property, I am willing to work with buyers' agents.  It's a wonderful home in a terrific neighborhood, by the way!

There are two concerns that may have prompted that response. First of all, how does that buyers agent know you are really the home owner and able to sell that property?  Second, that Realtor has a qualified buyer who is capable of purchasing the home and expects a Brokers Commission to be paid.  Both of these concerns can be overcome with simple paperwork and a little research.  Personally, I don't take a for-sale-by-owner property very seriously when representing a buyer.  There are so many liability issues in selling a home.  There have only been 2 occasions where I have had to contact a "for-sale-by-owner" on behalf of a buyer.   Both times my buyer clients decided they didn't want to move forward.  

Profile picture for Connie Klemme

that's not any kind of rule/violation - it doesn't make sense for an MLS to have such a rule over it's members.

they do have rules about taking a listing and not putting it in the MLS but that is an entirely different thing than not showing a FSBO or other non mls listing.

Either that Realtor needs to educate themself or it was just a convienent excuse not to work.   I hope for the idea that they were simply confused and a little education would clear that up.

The poor buyer apparently has an agent putting such screening criteria in place. Unfortunately it happens.   Are you selling by owner?  Will you pay a commission percentage to a buyer's agent?