I was told I cannot refinance with my current mtge lender due to income being foreign is this true?

Hi, I have an 80-10-10 loan with the 1st mtge through Freddie Mac. I attempted to refi through one of the TARP models got to the underwriters approval stage and was told I cannot refi because my income is Foreign. (I am a Permanent Resident of the US for 20yrs and working overseas for the same company for the last 5 years) Does this mean that I now cannot refinance because my income is foreign?
  • June 18 2012 - Park Slope
  • 0

Profile picture for 55004
I am in a similar situation. I am a US citizen with a credit score 740. I took a job overseas three months ago. I was told that the lender won't take the foreign income unless I've had this income and filed it on a tax return. Last time I tried to refinance while I was in US, lenders wont accept it because I was underwater. Now that I try to do it again under HARP 2.0, I am running into this foreign income problem..oh well. I am waiting to hear back from my broker, but it looks pretty hard for me to refinance with my foreign income based on what I've read so far online...

I just dealt with that about a year ago.  At that time, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac would not accept income earned outside the US...even if the borrower is a US citizen.  You will likely have to find a lender who does not sell their loans into Fannie or Freddie securities.