I was working with a realtor but looked at a new construction site without my realtor. I was advise

August 09 2013 - Las Vegas

Well, here in Virginia we have to have a signed buyer/agent agreement to work with buyers and the compensation and terms need to be explicitly spelled out.  I have many buyers who have wanted to look at new homes construction.  I usually simply ask them to allow me to schedule the preliminary appointment.  If the buyer is just "feeling things out" most times there is no need for me to go and the builder will register my client with my information.  I've also had builders respect the buyer/agent agreement if the buyer was not forthcoming in offering that information when browsing through a model home or sales office. 

If you trust your agent, regardless of whether you have a signed buyer/agent agreement or not, it would make good sense to speak with them about what happened and let the agent hash it out with the builder.  If you are a serious buyer, the builder will more than likely honor the relationship you have with your agent.  At least that's been my experience.

Unless the agent was with you and registered you the first time they cannot assist you with the purchase unless you are willing to pay their commission yourself.

Typically a builder will not give your buyer's agent any compensation if you did not take him or her with you on your first visit.  However it's always worth asking.  You should certainly have your buyer's agent involved if possible, as the builder will not advocate for you - only your agent will.  If the builder is not willing to pay your agent, you could always arrange a buyer agency agreement in which you pay your agent a small fee for his or her services.  Best of luck with your purchase.

Different, I am sure, all over the country. Here, most builders will use common sense when paying fees. If the buyer discloses representation, normally a fee is paid. Btw, most builders I know will go out of their way to pay and actually see this as a part of the cost of marketing.

The builder probably will not cooperate with your agent if you did not go into the new homes sales office on your first visit with your Realtor. Have your Realtor ask the person you talked with. I am a firm believer that you should have representation when dealing with New Home sales.
Thank You
Suzie Marquardt