Profile picture for grunsweigm

I wish to begin a career in real estate investing, residential and eventually commercial. My questio

I wish to begin a career in real estate investing, residential and/or commercial. my question is, will it be helpful for me to take a course in real estate selling, even though I am not planning to be selling other people"s property ? will the education and knowledge that I gain, stand me in good stead, or is it a waste of my time and money, or as I have heard some people say perhaps even be it be a hindrance ?
  • December 04 2013 - Spring Valley
  • 0

It may be best to wait, but it could be helpful to talk with fellow investors in the same niche as you and see what they did, and what worked for them.

Dear Grunsweigm,

I am a residential Fix-n-flipper, or residential rehabber, who just got a Colorado Broker's license.
If I were you, I wouldn't start out getting a Real Estate license until your are farther along in your investing career. It can definitely help along the way, IF YOU WANT TO be that involved in searching for properties and finding the better deals. But these are deals that are often distressed properties that may need a lot of rehab work. 
If you are so inclined to go that route and be involved with hiring rehab crews and remodeling issues, I would look into organizations such as FORTUNE BUILDERS (fortunebuilders.com). Now this doesn't mean that you yourself have to be a repairman... if fact they would tell you, the investor, to hire other professionals to do the actual work. You would be trained to be an entrepreneur and business leader. Even professional contractors are told to GIVE IT UP and learn to hire others so they can concentrate on finding the properties to invest in. Once you get to that point, being an agent can help.
I would also search out all the Real Estate Investment Clubs in your area, and attend them all, until you figure out which ones offer you the most benefit. You will meet many other like-minded individuals, as well as suppliers, lenders, property managers, real estate agents, etc.
If you don't want to be that "hands-on" in your investing business, the other route is to simply work with good Real Estate Agents who understand your goals and can find ready-to-rent properties that provide a good return for you. And if you start attending Real Estate Investment Clubs in your area (do a Google search), you will find other Investor/Rehabbers who have rehabbed properties for sale to persons who want to buy ready-to-rent properties you are looking for! Be sure to get on their BUYER'S LISTS, so they can notify you when any of their rehabbed properties are about to be sold. In many of these cases, the properties may never be put on the MLS because there are investor/buyers waiting for such properties to become available, and can act quickly.

Dennis Machlica
The Go-To Realty Guy

[Promotion and embedded hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for information.]  

When you become a real estate investor you will learn every day it will not hurt you if you become a real estate salesperson the more you learn the more you will earn. When you go to buy your 1st building 
(do your math) after all your monthly expenses you MUST HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER FOR YOU (YOUR 
MONTHLY PROFIT). Good luck I wish you much success.

A broker/salesperson license won't really help you much, and investor groups are good for beginners because it brings you into the culture.

Realistically, I want to discourage you from "beginning a career" in real estate investing. There's a difference between speculating that your purchase may appreciate in value ("speculating"), and managing rental property as a business.

I do not think there is a market that isn't saturated with investors, ranging from the well-capitalized to the busters looking to buy closing-costs down with a seller carry. There is a lot of competition.

Profile picture for usvelocity
Education is good, but knowing the right people is better.  Have you seen www.connectedinvestors.com?  They host groups of real estate investors in most cities across the US.   And.. you get a few free real estate courses when you sign up.  When you log in click the education button for... over 100 courses you can review.

Do your research before deciding and see what's best for you, 
Real Estate is  a Career,  if you are just deciding to get your license,  then you will be required to do additional paperwork
Good luck with your decision

If you get licensed you'll have additional paperwork required with each and every deal. If you're looking for resources to help you I'd recommend you visit websites like http://biggerpockets.com and jump in the forums, listen to podcasts etc. There's a huge difference between knowing how to sell someone a property and finding proper investments for what your goals are.

You may have local investment groups, or clubs, you could join to network with other investors. Good luck, investing in real estate is a LOT of fun!