Profile picture for jamesletx

I would like to add my adult son to the title of my house that I purchased a few months ago.

I would like to add my adult son to the title of my house that I purchased a few months ago. How do I go about doing this? Do I need an attorney or am I able to do this on my own?
  • May 05 2010 - Augusta
  • 0

Profile picture for Alan Grizzle
You can have a real estate attorney just do a quit clame deed to add him on it. Remember after you do that you will need his  Signature/permission to sell or borrow money on it. I have seen a lot of famileys torn apart over things like that. You better know 100% that you and he are in agreement on everything before you do it. I also suggest getting tax advice first.

Attorney.

Unless you have a supremely good reason to add his name, the likely advice will be "don't do it!"

My elderly client bought a house in another state for the use of her son and his wife.  Someone at one point added the son's name to one of the filed documents, then removed it.  Too bad!  The son never moved into the house.  His wife and her 13 year old kid did and filed for divorce. The house sat empty for three + years and after long and expensive legal posturing the court allowed my client to sell what was now a dump.

Profile picture for CapitalCityMortgage
Yes you can do that , but before you do... be sure that you are not going to need to any type of loan. Additional names on title can cause problems.
Also, Are you doing this for estate planning or tax purposes?