Profile picture for reilly09

I would like to fight my property tax assessment

My assessed value is about at where I bought the house (395K), however I did a database search of the houses on my street. All are essentially 765 sq foot row homes in very similar conditions from the exterior, and from those I have seen based on meeting the neighbors. However my assessed value is listed at 368K while the good majority of these other homes are listed in the 340K range. There is one home with all the same features that sold for 419K in 2007 and is assessed at 348K.
So my question is, can I use this info to try for a lower taxable assessment?
I do not want to be the bad guy on the block that inadvertently gets other houses rates raised, but I do want to do everything possible to lower my tax obligation.
Does it sound like I have a case? I was successful in appealing my taxes on a previous home when I showed that the sales price was lower than the assessed value. However, this case is slightly different.

Thanks for any advice!

February 23 2012 - Washington

Hello Reilly09. How are you? Since you are in DC this is the site that you definitely want  http://otr.cfo.dc.gov/otr/cwp/view,a,1330,q,594359.asp. Good luck to you.

Here is the link with info for your area http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/PropertyTax/IncentivePrograms.aspx 
You can send those comparables and write them and your taxes can be reduced. If you do not have the time and patience to deal with it, sometimes local Real Estate agents will help you out at a fee or percentage. They go to court and represent a number of cases/owners and provide them with the appropriate data to get the assesed property taxes reduced. I happen to know one but he is in my area and you need a local.

. . .can I use this info to try for a lower taxable assessment?

Of course you can and should, it will not raise other house rates.

Contact your county assessment appeals department and talk to them. Many times they will lower your rates just by speaking with them. Find the point person to be in contact with, and if need be, hire an appraiser for a formal appraisal.