Profile picture for MamaT19611

I would like to find out how I can remove a name off the mortgage and the deed of the property my ex

I would like to find out how I can remove a name off the mortgage and the deed of the property my ex boyfriend and I purchased together.
  • September 14 2012 - Orlando
  • 0

Profile picture for PRMI Branch Manager
Hello MamaT19611,

You will have to refinance the property into your name solely to get your ex boyfriend off the mortgage note and deed.  I hope this helps.

Al Norman
Branch Manager
Primary Residential Mortgage, Inc. 
Casselberry, FL 32707

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
You can get a lawyer to remove a name from the deed but removing it from the mortgage will require a refinance. Removing him from the deed just means he will have no interest in the house in the future, but he will still be on the mortgage and his credit and yours would be damaged if you defaulted. You might just look into removing him from the deed so he has no future interest in the home should it sell. Of course if he is smart he will not want to give up an interest in the house and still be on the hook for the mortgage, even if you pay it all.

Tim

The person who keeps the house will have to refinance in their own name.  This should happen before removing the departing partner from the title.

If the person who is keeping the house is not qualified for financing in their own name, then the two should sell the house and share the expenses/potential gain on the sale.