Profile picture for blues18146

I would like to initiate a lawsuit against Zillow for underestimating my home value.

I would like to initiate a lawsuit against Zillow for underestimating my home value.  Please provide the name and number for your legal counsel.  I have tried everything else, but get no response.
  • April 22 2012 - Cleveland Heights
  • 2

You can find the name of Zillow's legal counsel in the "about us" section (link at the bottom of the page) and Zillow's address at "find us" on the same page.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Last I knew it was

General Counsel
"Kathleen Philips" <kathleenp@zillow.com>

Corporate Counsel
"Michelle Wynne"  <michellew@zillow.com>
(206)  757-4244

Profile picture for feenixrising
WHo do we contact to commence a class action lawsuit?  I think enough homeowners have been misrepresented publicly by ZIllow that the  criteria for a class action lawsuit would be met. 

"  I think enough homeowners have been misrepresented publicly by ZIllow that the  criteria for a class action lawsuit would be met."

The problem with a lawsuit is that Zillow would claim "Gross Incompetence" as the reason for the erroneous zestimates and it would take the Jury less than 3 minutes to agree that YES they are even more incompetent than anyone would ever believe. The zestimate algorithm was developed by a team that had ZERO real estate experience before they stated screwing around with peoples home valuations. Add to that Zillows notorious reputation for appalling data management of the zillions of bits of information it buys from 3rd party suppliers and who have a recipe for totally useless valuations.

Zillow is so inaccurate you could not make this stuff up. The worst part is the arrogance that Zillow demonstrates by refusing to correct or delete erroneous zestimates when requested to do so by homeowners who feel that zillow is causing them financial harm with their nonsense zestimates. The time has come for some form of regulation to be introduced to protect homeowners interests as well as the fatcat zillow executives quest to make zillions more dollars profit on their stock options irrespective of the misery they inflict on homeowners in the process.

The zestimate is 2 things.

1 inaccurate

2 a matter of opinion which is covered by free speech. You have no legal case that will win against free speech.

Profile picture for feenixrising
It is not free speech where monetary  loss is concerned.  Do you think Kelly's Blue Book could be around as long as it has if it played games with car values?  Try and sell your car for more than KBB values and see what happens.  Zillow needs to be accountable.  They are widely used in the real estate arena by professionals and laymen alike so what they call opinion, by the nature of their "weight" would not be considered free speech/opinion in court.  They are part of the problem, they are damaging homeowners.  Do you know Arizona has put out a cease and desist order against them?  Doesn't sound like the wildcats think Zillow is "just a matter of opinion".   

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"Who do we contact to commence a class action lawsuit?" -

You contact your lawyer, and negotiate how much you are going to pay him or her for compensation for handling your case.

No lawyers are going to be taking it on a contingency basis, as such a suit was already filed against Zillow several years ago, and dismissed for lack of substantiation.

Besides, most of the class action lawsuits tend to only net the members of the class in the range of $15.  One Honda owner recently opted out of a class action suit against Honda.  The class action settlement was about $150 each.  She sued separately  (in small claims) and was awarded by the court over $50,000.  (Her lawsuit was for misrepresentation of the Gasoline mileage in their advertisements, promotions, and literature).   If you decide to participate in the class, you are opting out of being able to sue or negotiate a separate settlement.

Class actions are for the benefit of the lawyers, and the party being sued.  Not for the benefit of the members of the class.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Ah..The Zillow Forum Legal Expert weighs in again with the
"No lawyer would".."You can't'.." They won't" statement of Fact

I mean we all know if they ruled something once no Court will never ever change/reverse or go against that ruling

Profile picture for Blue Nile
You are quite welcome to search for a lawyer that will take the case on a contingency basis if you want....

I'm not about to try to stop you.

There is no merit in such a case; and case law is quite clear on it, regardless of your present assumptions.

With all the dozens of threads over the past 5 years stating they were going to file a class action suit against Zillow for damages caused by Zestimates, why haven't they done so?  And why are they making no progress?  Lawyers that takes cases on a contingency basis don't take them if they don't expect to make a lot of money from such cases.

Of course there are plenty of other lawyers that will be happy to take the case for you, if you pay them $300 per hour.

Profile picture for Rchan81
@Pasadenan - Where did you find the $50,000 figure.  Last I checked it was $9867 and not to mention the max of $10,000 in small claims.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
She discussed the case on Public radio in December prior to the case.  And there was a follow up in January.  Yes, there is a limit of $10k in small claims per person; my understanding was that several members in her family were also suing, to arrive at the total.  That is the way "safe streets now" actions work to get landlords to take care of nuisance issues, such as illegal drugs sales on their properties.

I have not tried to go to the website to get the specifics of the case since hearing she was successful.

I'm with you blues….there is a way we can do this and I will be working diligently on it as they need to be put in their place. These are serious damages they are causing. Maybe design a website for everyone that has been affected to pull together and then ask the public how many times it has affected their decisions…….there's the proof of damages and so on. Let me know if you find someone or maybe we need to get the other started….The negative comments I read on your post are some of the same people who have responded on my post and believe they are a part of the Zillow crew based on their remarks.   Will let you know what I find out.

The best thing to do is to write to your state reps to try to get your state to ban Zillow! Many states are doing this!  There are many articles that have been written on this subject as well.  What I hate is that they post information that's wildly inaccurate.  I have no problem with Zillow posting what is truly public record i/e sq footage, what a house sold for and when what the tax  is etc., but when they post zestimates that do indeed influence people and they are wildly wrong than that is not freedom of speech, that to me is like yelling fire as it truly hurts the seller and potential buyer and as a matter of fact, it can hurt a whole neighborhood!

Profile picture for Heather8483
I am also having the same issue. I paid $150K for my house and spent $20K to finish the basement. Zestimate says my house is worth $133,896.  I am getting an offer of $132K.  I asked zillow to delete my house listing but I've got no response.  Do you know how I can 'opt-out' of this site?

@Heather8483: 

Here are links to Zillow's comments related to your question:

"How do I dispute my Zestimate?"

"Can I remove my home from Zillow?"

As well as "what is a Zestimate?"     IMHO (I am not from Zillow), many people ignore the value range and over interpret the Zestimate.  The Zestimate is not an appraisal, and the Zestimate does not take into consideration your recent upgrades.   It is a computer generated number using public facts, so a starting point and only a starting point for home values.

Hey Zillow, why don't you just to the right thing and either fix your messed up data or remove erroneous listing when notified. It isn't tha #### hard. You guys just appear to be incompetent to home owners (potential buyers and sellers) and you continue to loose credibility to the point of hatred against your service.

My property is linked to no property tax data (oh the county must not think it is exists, no your database is architecturally flawed). My property value is over $150,000 undervalued (my townhouse neighbor just sold for 715,000, but somehow my property is only valued at around $550,000). You have been notified numerous times and have ignored all of my requests to fix and remove data. It is just pure incompetence and disregard for the people for whom you are profiting from. 

Profile picture for pmam

Profile picture for ovation766
I agree with this sentiment.  I don't understand how it is legal for one entity, Zillow, to put their prices on homes, worldwide.
Of course, it's just a "zestimate".  Because of advances in technology, that zestimate is easily seen by billions of people, on their computer screens, cell phone screens, etc.    I believe that in essence, Zillow is setting prices if not worldwide, at least in the United States.  When someone sees that zestimate, or "valuation", I believe it sticks.  It looks "official".  It's a starting point, or a finishing point.   I think local real estate agents, local appraisers, local taxing authorities, all take this value in, and use it in some way.    Yes, a local real estate appraiser, before zillow, used a number of factors to come up with an appraised "local" value.  Granted, any "appraised" value, is to some degree, a guess.  The comps that have affected that 
"before zillow" appraised value, were based upon a "locally appraised value".  Now, after Zillow, everything is tainted with
Zillow's zestimate valuation, to some degree, good or bad.  

I think the question is: Do homeowners in this country want one entity, or corporation, setting prices for every home, based upon some "magical" algorithm?

When a potential renter, or buyer of my house, sees the zestimate, it's probably the first valuation they've seen, and it's where they will start in negotiations.  If that value fluctuates, with no expressed reason,, up, or down,  the absurdity of that valuation becomes apparent.  
  • April 05

blues....     Almost 3 years have past.    How's your class action lawsuit coming?

• April 05

Profile picture for iipueo
I would also like to file suit have you had any luck? T.hey misrepresented my property also and cost me sales.
  • 2 days ago

"T.hey misrepresented my property also and cost me sales."

How did Zillow cost you a sale? They are not appraisers and they do not set buyers offer price. When the market was high, people happliy paid over Zestimate and ranted about stupidly low Zillow was. Now that the market is more balanced in most areas, many complain Zillow is too low. How times change...
  • 2 days ago

Profile picture for Blue Nile
You can read about most of the active and lawsuits against Zillow or that Zillow filed against others at:
http://dockets.justia.com/search?query=zillow

One exception; the parties "hid" the real names of those in the suit calling them "Does", and just used the name of employees instead:

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/cacdce/2:2014cv09893/607436

(That one is really a Suit and Counter Suit between the National Association of Realtors and Zillow, and since Move Inc runs Realtor.com, and Move Inc was bought out last fall, it is really a Rupert Murdock lawsuit so that Rupert can continue to steal info from others and bias all public opinion by dominating the media market).

(Automate machine generated opinions does not impact sold prices, and Zillow has less than 10% market share of AVM's in the U.S. anyway.  If any AVM company had any influence on prices, it would be Core Logic... but they have been doing it so long (over 20 years), their patent already expired and is "public domain".  (ie: anyone in the world can use their estimating method without royalties).)
  • 2 days ago