Profile picture for RELIABLEMAN

If I buy a(home) from a non-profit ,such as church,do I have to pay the taxes from prior years?

I want to buy a property from a non-profit organization(a church).Do I have to pay the property taxes for all prior years that this church has the tax exemptions?Or I will start paying taxes from the date I buy the property? 
  • February 07 2011 - Round Lake Beach
  • 0

Profile picture for gslow1
Your tax liabilty starts when you close on the property as long as there was no outstanding tax issues. You need to seek advise from a Real Estate Attorney.

You will only owe taxes from the day you become the owner.

philip

You would need to check with a tax professional, but my strong guess is that you are not liable for any taxes as the taxes haven't been deferred, they simply don't exist. There may be city assessments that are due (sidewalk, road improvements) so you would want to make sure there aren't any unpaid assessments.

Your tax liability most likely will begin the day you take possession. You would need to read the language of the purchase agreement to determine when your tax liability begins.