Profile picture for Lindz6515

If I can pay the 20% downpayment on a loan to avoid MI, are there any advantages to a HomePath loan?

I'm a first time home buyer and a home I'm looking to potentially purchase is qualified for a HomePath loan. If I'm able to pay the 20% downpayment in order to avoid the MI fees, are there still benefits to doing a HomePath versus FHA? If the home is qualified for HomePath, do I have the option to take out alternate loans such as FHA?
  • August 28 2011 - Stratham
  • 0

There's no reason to do Homepath nor FHA from what I'm seeing.  

20% down homepath loan is no different than a 20% down conventional loan.  If you put 20% down on an FHA loan you will still pay the UFMIP and if you a financing for 30 years you will have Monthly MI for the next 5 years.

My question to you woudl be why would you go FHA if you have 20% down?  Unless your credit is sub 640
I doubt FHA makes sense.

Profile picture for daveskow
no mortgage insurance
no appraisal needed

if you put 20% down you should obtain a regular conventional loan  as this rate/ fee  should be lower than a homepath rate/ fee at 20%  down