If I decide to sell my home, should I fix it up?

I may be selling my home, since I will be buying a new one. Should I put money to sell it and if so how much is too much. I dotn want to over do it.
  • September 23 2013 - Harlingen
  • 1

Best Answer

Before deciding to make specific repairs before resale, take a day off to tour other homes in the neighborhood. Note the condition and amenities in those homes. Compare these homes to yours. If, for example, most of the homes on the market have upgraded kitchens, you should concentrate on fixing the kitchen and so on. 

Make a list of everything that is defective, broken or worn out. If buyers spot problems or malfunctioning systems, they might wonder what else in the home has been neglected.

Here is a list of things that you shuld consider putting special attention to. 
  • Patch all holes and cracks in walls and ceilings.
  • Fix all broken appliances and HVAC systems.
  • Repair leaky faucets.
  • Replace worn carpeting.
  • Repaint dark or marred walls with neutral paint (not white).
  • Replace broken windows.
  • Repair the roof.
  • Change out dated light fixtures / ceiling fans 
  • Replace old linens / window coverings.
  • Fix code violations.
If your real estate market is extremely hot -- a seller's market -- you can get away with fewer fix-ups before selling; however, a home that needs repairs will still deliver a lower price. In slow markets -- a buyer's market -- buyers might not even look at a home that needs work, unless it's a foreclosure. 

Profile picture for ladonnaj27
I have everything cleaned, but the cold made damage too great for me to fix. Pipes underneath are broke.. Mobile home.i even had half of the walls drywalled.my heart was in it , till winner .gas was shut off, that made more damage.Thank you all for your input.I truly appreciate your time.
  • May 04

Profile picture for ladonnaj27
I have everything cleaned, but the cold made damage too great for me to fix. Pipes underneath are broke.. Mobile home.i even had half of the walls drywalled.my heart was in it , till winner .gas was shut off, that made more damage.
  • May 04

Profile picture for ladonnaj27
I paid 18,000 , every payment was a struggle. Heartbreaking to lose it. Gas was shut off in winter. Pipes busted.Im having a hard time going back to access it. I still have things I treasure there.but park isn't going to wait for me, to decide.
  • May 04

Contact a local Realtor first. Have him do a CMA (comparative market analysis) in order to find how much comparable properties are selling for. Any money that you put into the house will most likely make your house sell faster, and probably will help you get a "little" more for your home.
If there are any broken items, you might want to take care of them. if what you are looking is to upgrade or update the property DO NOT OVER INVEST, because you might not get your money back. If you do something the key is: 1. the kitchen 2. bathrooms.
Make sure you discuss with the local Real Estate Agent this options, find out how much are comparable properties selling in your neighborhood, you could also tour the homes that are currently for sale in your neighborhood to see what buyers are going to be looking at, that is what your home will be competing against.

You should get advise from your experienced neighborhood Realtor. You should always make sure it is at least clean. Upgrades and costs are all individual. Generally speaking you will get more money if the property is upgraded but not dollar per dollar.

Profile picture for Rob Madecky
Your home will sell faster if you put a little money into it to fix it up. Not a lot of money. For a couple of hundred dollars you should be able to paint a few rooms, clean the floors and add a little landscaping for curb appeal. You may also stage your home for showings. A little money will go a long way and make a quicker sale

Profile picture for fth1013
I recently purchased a home, short sale.
It took many months of looking and comparing, Finally when I saw this house I knew I wanted it. It wasn't in tip top shape but I liked the layout and huge backyard. I wished the seller had not spent the money on cleaning carpets and changing fixtures because it wasn't my taste. we ripped out the carpet and put laminate down as we have children with asthma. The color of the walls were not to our taste though semi neutral.
Some buyers are picky and want move in ready but I would prefer to be given a check for those expenses even if it's small.

Contact a local realtor and have them view your home to give some recommendations. They can help you determine what should be done in order to make sure your home shows best when you put it on the market because they out looking at the competition every day. That being said, painting the interior of your home is inexpensive and it's amazing what a fresh coat of neutral paint will do to help your home show its best!

Profile picture for KevinHawkins
These are both great answers. I alway want every dollar that is spent on "fixing" up a house to be made back with a sizable return on that dollar as well! There are a ton of things that you can do that dont cost anything.. Like having your home organized, de-cluttering, washing the walls and ceiling, yard maintenance, etc.. Every so often you will be able to make significantly more if you put some money into the place. These days its really just depends on your home! call a good realtor and they will help you out!

I would start by finding an experienced Realtor that can help guide you. Your agent SHOULD be able to tell you what buyers are looking for in you market.  If they can't, then find another.  Then make the repairs that make sense based on your budget to increase the marketability of your home.  There in no set number that is "too much" or "too little", that is based on how your home compares to other properties on the market.  

Hi There

Your best bet would be to contract a local Realtor and let them give you their opinion on the home and if it would be worthwhile to make changes.. the best things to do with any home is to de-clutter, clean, paint and make sure everything including yard is neat and tidy