If You are a Home Buyer, how many houses do you think you need to see, before you decide to buy one?

March 29 2011 - San Leandro

Best Answer
We've purchased a house after seeing as few as 2, and as many as 100.   The difference?   An agent who took the time to listen to us and preview homes.

It could be as little as one. I heard some realtor offices giveup after 2 weeks.

Priscilla and Oggi are correct - as many as it takes. Sometimes you have to take a buyer to a different neighborhood or a different style home. I had a buyer looking for a colonial, but when they walked into the quadlevel with the double door entry, marble foyer and the saw the pond through the large living room windows, they fell in love with the house. I've even taken clients to other communities that I felt were better suited for their children and they agreed. Sometimes you have have to think out of the box and expose a client to something totally different then what they thought they wanted.

Bottom line, when they see the ideal house, it will wrap its arms around them and they will know they are home. Listen-observe-patience.

rest assured...buyers typically buy the last house they look at  :) 
It's like finding your keys- I tend to find them in the last place I checked.
I've looked at 34 once before finding one to settle on then next move it required only 2.

USUALLY after most people have seen a few they have a good feel for what they don't like and won't accept. 

If the price is right, it has 40 acres, and the house is set up right one is enough. If not it could be hundreds to find the right one. The floorplan being shown could stop me from looking at hundreds of houses that are wrong for me.

Years ago I looked at one house. I made an offer on that house. My offer was all I could do. The seller rejected the offer. If instead the seller had accepted my offer I would have bought the first house I saw. The house was not perfect. It was not in the right town. But it fit what I needed.

Profile picture for B Mike West
I am afraid that I disagree with you one this comment.  Many buyers can not verbalize what they want.  I sometimes wonder if they even know what they want. 

On more than one occasion, the buyer provided specific criteria and ended up buying something that was not even close.

I think the answer to the original question is...it depends on the buyer.

Interesting that a question was asked of buyers, but I'm the only person who doesn't have an "agent" label who answered so far.  (Thanks Antonio)

It depends on the personality of the buyers, even if they have the best realtor there is.  Some people are basically insecure and others make it a hobby of second guessing themselves, and continue looking even after they have put an offer.  So I would say, as many as it takes!

As many as it takes!

wetdawgs, you are absolutely right! The job of the Realtor is actually to be the eyes of the purchaser, to go look at homes first, and to eliminate the bad ones, and to choose the best ones. The Realtor must not only have to have a good understanding of what the home buyers want, but also be familiar with the area. Thanks for participating!

I think if you are doing your job right and showing them homes that they would  like, I dont think you would have to show too many

As many as it takes.