Profile picture for rosemarinus

If a house has obvious repair needs why pay for an inspection first to ask for repairs?

I am looking at a house that has mold in the basement. I'm told to get an inspection ttthen ask for repairs. I think the owner should pay for the mold issues before I invest in an inspection. Then the inspector can evaluate the mold repairs and other issues.
After obvious repairs are done. I will get an inspection,  but I want some repairs done first. What is the logic of paying for an inspection on visible defects? It doesn't make sense.

In general, you have the home inspection to find out the extent of the obvious problems and to find other, lurking, hidden issues.  And you write the inspection contingency to include having the inspector recheck all issues found during the initial inspection, the issues the seller says have been corrected. 

If I were the seller, especially as the house is a fixer, I would not make mold repairs before the inspection knowing I risked having you walk when other issues were found later. 

You are paying for the experience of the inspector and not just the eyes of the inspector.

An experienced inspector could tell you whether the mold issue is fixable or whether you should cut bait and run. 

If there is a serious mold problem, the temptation of the homeowner would be to do a half hearted job. An inspector can also tell you how mold is mitigated and you probably will rely on that inspector to review the work as it's being done to ensure it's done properly. Serious mold problems can cost big bucks to mitigate properly and hardly anything to cover it up.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
whats the logic in paying for an inspection and not asking for it to be repaired?

the you only get 1 inspection period.

you cant demand that the seller does work and then back out of the deal... its a no-no

To make sure that the damage isn't more extensive than it appears. You may end up asking for a relatively minor repair only to discover there is a much larger problem.