If several people interested in buying property, can I favor one over other? One is very nasty?

Selling mom's house. Former neighbor interested in it for his son. I have people set to make repairs, paint, update. Neighborhood is good w/ her house one o best despite inside work needed. Gave son some items rom house, he dragged feet picking up for a month and my workmen unable to do anything. Turns out it is because they want house cheap & unfixed. Offered very low price. I declinded, said it was not on market yet, gave them deadline for moving things and plan to do repairs and get real estate agent. I have several other people interested. I really do not want this family to take my parent's house ever. How to I handle their offers (thru a listing agent) if they decide to up their offer against a inice family wants to buy it? Can I get filed against for discrimination? He is middle eastern, and son is disabled mentally. Son is fixated on house and my mother who he calls his grandmother. Whole thing makes me very uncomfortable and is creepy. They left house next door with $30,000 in code violations and are irresponsible. Do I have a choice in who buys my house? Sorry for rant.

May 20 2013 - Milwaukee

Everyone deserves a fair chance make a counter offer and base your decision on best offer meaning how clean the offer looks and you might want to cross qualify your best offers with a reliable licensed lender to make sure they'll close without problems and make your decision from there.

Thank you so much everyone! Really eases my mind about this. Especially that I can accept any price on it. It is a smallish older house in a wonderful neighborhood that is now filling with families. Both new neighbors have siblings who are intersted, a church is interested, my dad built house and ai want it to go to a good owner. Makes perfect sense to basically do what I want, accept the offer I want, and not discuss the reason with the realtor. Once he meets these people, he or she would understand. This week was hair tearing, waited a month for this son to pick up lots of furniture I was GIVING to him. And after many cancellations I got the smart answer "why should I move it, I am going to live in my grandma's house"! Huh, creepy plus. So son is basically bloxking me from getting workmen in so father can lowball me. I drew line in sand and that is it with these people. Thank you again for giving me such great info.

Have everyone put in a formal offer in writing. Look over the offers and submit a multiple counter offer.  Let buyers bid against one another. This is the best way to get the most for the property. 1st thing is to get some current market info to find the market price and adjust accordingly. A good agent will get you info on the buyers --- Do they qualify?  Can they prove they have cash and/or qualify for a loan. Don't let people waste your time with promises. Get everything in writing and check out all the facts. 

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

You are free to sell to who you want, for what price you want. I have done so. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may be correct to be prepared to deal with this neighbor.

And now, for the I-am-not-an-attorney advice...

While I would not lose any sleep over the matter, the simplest way to deal with any post-sale demands for "why did you not sell to us" is...silence. For some reason, there are people who feel they are entitled to explanations for others' actions. And, it is a natural reaction to want to defend one's actions in the face of accusations, or implied accusations. My personal experience is that offering "reasons" in these scenarios is counter-productive.

So? Do what you need to do. Sell to who you want to sell to. Keep your thoughts and/or opinions on the matter to yourself.

BTW - I would keep your concerns about the former neighbor to yourself, and not share them with your REA. "Why" you choose one offer over another is your business...until you tell your REA. At that point, you put your REA in the position of having to decide whether-or-not to share this information with other REAs. It's best, especially in a situation like this, if all your REA can factually share is "my client did/did-not select your client's offer".

You can chose to sell your home to anyone. You cannot discriminate, however if you have a valid reason for choosing an offer from one person over another you have that right;
You need to put the property on the market, see all the offers and see the pros and cons of each one. If they are going to try to get this at a bargain, and you get higher offers, nobody will question why you are taking an offer that will net you more.

You can choice who you wish to sell to as long as it is not discriminatory.  My suggestion would be to get all offers in front of you and read all the fine print and see witch offer is best suited to your needs and wants, for example see which offer has the least contingency and fastest settlement time.

Good Luck
Robert Travers

You can make the decision to whoever you like regardless of price. I have had buyers win bids based on a nice letter they wrote to the seller.  Just make sure that its truly not discrimination situation vs just not caring for the family.