If you know your credit is questionable, should you even waste time trying to get a home loan first?

December 23 2013 - US

It certainly is easy enough to get free copies of your credit report or a copy of your FICO score.  I would start there.  If you find that your score is below 620 I might be concerned.  Also, having your credit reports will allow you to see what is dragging down your score and then you can start fixing it.

If you find it is not as bad as you assumed, go speak with a lender.

I've had clients come in and tell me they have terrible credit and they end up being in the 700's (I've also had people tell me they have good credit and be shocked to find collections, etc. that they never knew they had...)

You wouldn't be wasting your time. If you truly want to own your own home, you may have to get some credit counseling and work months or even years to improve your credit score, but don't let that stop you from achieving home ownership.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

You could speak to a mortgage professional to determine exactly how questionable your credit is, and what you can do to improve your situation.

Where do you live?