Ikea floor plans today, your home's floorplan tomorrow....

Google to post floorplans on Google Maps...

http://mashable.com/2011/11/29/google-maps-indoors/
  • November 29 2011 - Ho Ho Kus
  • 0

I just heard about this yesterday! At first I thought, "is that a good idea?" but when I realized they were talking shopping malls and airports, I thought it was really cool! Google is always so innovative! We'll see how people react to this, though. My only thought is that it could pose a threat to safety for those who wanted to use the information in a negative way.

Profile picture for amandathomas
Hi Vince,

Thanks for sharing this cool info!

Initially, the headline seemed to promise Ikea-branded design on new home construction. :-)

Now it is clear that you meant commercial floorplans are part of today's product offering for the new G-Maps product, and those of private homes are in the near future.

Interestingly, the State of Texas passed legislation back in 2005 that mandated the removal of floorplans and images from CAD websites out of concerns for safety. 

Does CA have similar legislation?

I wonder if Google is factoring environmental factors by state into their planning strategy. Remember the outcry of privacy invasion when street view launched?