Profile picture for jameskim80

Im a first time home buyer.. Should i get my own escrow officer?

Im first home buyer I want to know that if i need to hire my own escrow officer or Should i just go sellers escrow office and do the closing fees? Which one is safety and faster?
  • November 26 2013 - South Tacoma
  • 0

Assuming you have an agent (which you should have) you should try to go with whatever escrow agent they recommend.  The reason they will most likely recommend the escrow agent is because they get the job done both smoothly and on time.

Sometimes you virtually have to go with the seller's selection of an escrow agent.  The most common examples of those are bankruptcy sales and bank owned (REO) sales.  The escrows selected by banks are sometimes some of the worst, least professional escrow companies out there, but the bank calls the shots.

BTW, ignore the answers from out of state agents.  Not all states close transactions in the same way, and in some states the use of an escrow is uncommon.  

Exactly as Katie said, typically the seller/listing agent has opened title with a title/escrow company. As a buyer you can request to use whichever title company you choose when submitting an offer. 

Usually my buyers use the title and escrow company I recommend due to the relationship we have built over the years and I know they will get the job done.

If you have shopped around and want to use a different company by all means request them when submitting your offer.

Usually my buyers are happy with the Escrow Officer and Title company I recommend.  I have had an occasional buyer or seller with a preference on who they want to use.  If that's the case, we go with who my client wants to use. 

As a Real Estate Broker I have a relationship with my Title/Escrow company and know that they will do a good job for me.  That's why I choose and recommend them for my buyers and sellers.  We want to work within our network that we've built in order to ensure a great transaction for you - the client. 

One other thing - in general the seller has opened title already with a Title Company and they are usually also handling escrow.  You can request a different title/escrow company when submitting the offer - it's a negotiable item.

Only if you want to drive the cost of buying up even further. Generally speaking, an escrow officer is acting in the interest of the law. He is engaged to assure that no one gets taken advantage of. An escrow officer, or closing attorney, is not an adversary of the Buyer, just because the Seller chooses them. Their main function is to account for the funds correctly, and this function is largely choreographed by the Lender, and by the title insurer, to a lesser degree. The Seller has little influence, if any, on what the escrow officer can, or will, do.