Profile picture for archsteve

Improving an investment property

Hi all,

I have a home that used to be my primary home, but is now an investment property. I am considering making significant improvements to the property (like adding on a master suite). How might I finance this? One option I was considering is forming an LLC, and then taking out a business loan. Any suggestions?

• July 03 2013 - Near N Valley

Steve you're exactly right. You would have to have at least 25% in order to take cash out of the home. This would also depend on a current appraisal. With rates on the rise I have been starting to see values of homes doing the same. Still might be something to look into. Otherwise the renovations might have to be out of pocket, or a personal loan.

I am a loan officer, if you have any other questions or concerns please don't hesitate to reach me privately through my Zillow account.

Profile picture for archsteve
Good point. Now that it is an investment property, getting a loan requires maintaining equity of 75%. I don't think we have that now, but can that refinance be based on the post construction value?

Thanks for the insight. Also, are you a banker or something?

With rates being as low as what they are have you considered pulling from the equity in the property?

The business loan isn't a bad idea either, I just think a refi might be easier to obtain.