Profile picture for Esilbe1

In NYC, what is the legal time limit for a seller to respond to an offer?

Hello! 
I am interested in a property in my area, and the sellers asked us to present an offer in writing via email, which I did. 
A couple of questions. 
Is this ethical and legal? 
How long does she have to respond to the offer? 
She also said one other person is looking at the apartment who might make an offer, but after that she'll not show it to anyone else (implying our offer, and a possible second is good enough). 
Does this sound reasonable? 
My wife and I are dying to know where we stand, but don't want to rub the broker the wrong way as she is the sole agent for this building (if this offer flunks, maybe they'll be another unit for us). 

• August 22 2013 - US
  • 0

A formal purchase offer needs to use the NY state forms.   An E-mail offer is not a purchase offer just a suggestion of interest.

The purchase offer will include a response time, but otherwise it is whenever they feel like it.