Profile picture for cosmopolitano

In a 203k loan how can I figure out what a house's architectural worth is to me in monetary terms?

Hi.Thanks for all the very informative posts many of you have provided on the 203k loan process!I am interested in purchasing a triplex as an owner-occupied property: an upstairs-downstairs duplex plus a garage apartment. The property is an interesting 1928 Spanish style stucco building in San Antonio, Texas with a lot of architectural charm, but it needs some TLC. All units are currently rented on a month-to-month basis. I have been reading about the 203k mortgage products and think this may be the best way for me to go, since I don't have 20-25% to put down to qualify for a conventional loan.I could well live in one of the 2BR/1BA units for a long time. Since I am so charmed by the property, I am concerned that I would be willing to invest more in the property than I could get back for it, were I ever to decide to sell it. Perhaps that wouldn't matter if I lived there for many years. I guess my question in this musing is, How can I figure out how to place a monetary value on the satisfaction that the property's architectural style could give me? I don't want to throw money away but I also don't want to ignore the architecture buff living inside me. Any advise on how to go about this decision would be most appreciated.Thanks!
  • August 12 2009 - Jefferson-Woodlawn Lake
  • 0

Profile picture for cosmopolitano
Hi Rudi,

I just checked in about my question. Thanks for your feedback!

The appraised value is what the property is currently worth. Any amount above that which you may establish is your opinion which has nothing to do with real value. .... Best wishes, Rudi.