Profile picture for penny1952

Inherited home

My father recently passed away and his home now belongs to the four daughters. I want to buy out my sisters and own the home myself.  I own a home a mile away. It's  is a double wide manufactured home that is affixed to the land.  What would be the best type of loan to do this?

September 26 2009 - Northeast

This is a little challenging.  First of all, let me extend my deepest sympathy to you in regards to your father's passing. There are a lot of questions that I would need to ask before I can give you a realistic answer.  Is your father's home in a Living Trust or do you have to go through probate?  Will your sisters agee to let you buy the home and deed their rights over to you? Do you intend to sell your home?  This is the basic start point.  I know this is not very helpful, however, this is where your lender will start.  Best regards, Sandra

Profile picture for penny1952
Thanks for responding. The house is in a trust, my sisters are ok with me buying them out and no i will not be selling my home for awhile.
I talked to a bank the other day and she suggested a home equity loan because it's paid for.  I'll see what today brings.

A HELOC? That is a note that at any point can have a change in terms or become due immediately I thought.

Talk with a lawyer. Are you going to split it on current value? Or on what it was bought for? What do your sister's want? Here's what I would do: First agree on price, and give up other assets to lower what you would owe your sisters. Then I would see what financing is avail. Pls note: If the home is worth 100K and your sisters only want 80K, then the home can get conventional, fixed, financing with 20% down! The equity is 20%, so you will need to put $0 down.

If your dad has cash, you could give up your share of cash, stocks, furniture, etc, to achieve the 20% you need for buying the home. :-)

Inherited home
Profile picture for Terri Linnell
Latest reply by Terri Linnell

1. 8820 E Dartmouth St, Mesa, AZ Home For Sale
    8820 E Dartmouth St, Mesa, AZ 85207

2. 6837 E Pearl St, Mesa, AZ Home For Sale
    6837 E Pearl St, Mesa, AZ 85207

3. 826 E 10th Dr, Mesa, AZ Home For Sale
    826 E 10th Dr, Mesa, AZ 85204