Inspecting Windows and Doors

Window Talk

Before diving into the nitty gritty of windows and doors inspection, it would be best to familiarize yourself with the terms that are usually associated with these components, particularly with windows. In this case, you can get a glimpse of the meaning from the labels that are sometimes found attached to the surface. It would be best to start with glazing and glazing coatings, which basically refer to the type of glass a particular window has. Glazing can be single, double or triple layered which can have an impact on the window's durability and insulation value.

In terms of glazing coatings, important terms to remember are the degree of insulation, or what is technically called as the U-factor, and Low-E or low emissivity which refers to the heat reflective ability of the coated surface. Low-E windows are coated with a thin metallic substance for this purpose and therefore would be more expensive but are definitely more energy efficient. For multi-layered glazing, fillers or spacers are usually placed in between layers, thus improving the insulation property.

Read more on my blog [Removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for information.]

  • August 12 2013 - Framingham
  • 0

  • Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.

Be a Good Neighbor. Be respectful and on-topic. No spam or self-promotion! See our Good Neighbor Policy.