Profile picture for wyatt chris76

Inspection for a New Construction.

I know that we should get resale house inspected by Inspector after getting into contract. Can/Should we do the same thing with new construction. How can I ensure that a newly constructed house doesn't have any flows?

January 24 - Alpharetta

Another point to consider for other new home purchasers - you may not have the right to have new construction inspected UNLESS you included this in the original purchase contract.

Many Atlanta homebuilders now include standard language in the new home purchase contract that severely limits the participation of a home inspector.

IMHO, Another reason why you should be represented by a BUYERS AGENT when looking at new homes in Atlanta, GA.

March 27
I visit homes I am building for myself or my customers to make sure the right set of plans are being followed.  It is amazing the backwards changes the construction crew can do.   Also, arrange for an ASHI inspector to inspect it periodically  He will have a complete plan for when to do the various inspections as well as the finished product

January 24
New homes should be inspected three times - 

1. Just prior to placement of concrete to ensure proper wire installation and soil compaction/prep

2. After mechanicals and prior to drywall

3. Prior to the home owner orientation with the builder

You asked another question about steep slops - if this is related then you might want an engineer's eyes on any walls, slopes or cuts. I have seen more than a few foundations fail due to improper site prep on cut and or fill sites.

January 24
ALWAYS Always get a home inspection.  Especially with new construction (And in Alpharetta). You never know what was over looked while building. And if you are building from the ground up, then  do the multi visit inspection.  Costs a little more, but well worth it.

This will allow you/your inspector to look at the electrical, plumbing, systems, framing ect before the drywall is up.  Best to correct any issues BEFORE drywall goes up rather than find out later when it is a more costly fix. 

Why would you spend $300-600K+ but not spend less than$1,000 to ensure it is built correctly? (And builder inspectors do not always physically walk the house inspecting it. During the BOOM, I knew of building inspectors that drove by and did not even get out of the car, yet gave a OC). 

BTW:  If the builder is not happy about having an inspector out there, you might want to question what they are hiding (But it is definitely appropriate to make sure it is a insured and qualified inspector)

January 24
We always recommend an inspection on a new construction, just to have another set of eyes on the home.  Some builders do not like this, but some welcome it.  I would recommend it either way.

January 24
Greetings,

I would strongly encourage you to conduct a home inspection on any new home you purchase. And, do not allow anyone to talk you out of it. You will hear all sorts of comments. The builder has been building for years, why would you have it inspected? The city has already issued the occupancy permit. Everything is okay, etc, etc. Lets make sure that there are no issues and the best way to confirm that is to have the home professionally inspected. I think it's money well spent. I have been in the real estate business for 36 years and have sold many new homes. It's amazing what your inspector will discovered.

Ken & Lynne
Austin Realty, Inc.
[contact information deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

January 24