Profile picture for CJKA

Interested in building a home

I am interested in building a new home and have read that the best thing to do was to get a Realtor to help to get the most bang for your buck. This would be my first property. Is there a Realtor in the area you would recommended?  

Here is a quick list of what I am looking for -

Denton, TX area (within a 15 mile radius)
150000-200000 (I currently can put down 20% of 150000)
1700-2200 square feet
1 story
3 bedrooms (would use one as an office)
No carpet
big kitchen with open concept
3 car garage
No formal dining room.  This seems like wasted space to me.
Would love to have enough room for a pool.  Can a pool be put in at the same time?
Modern style on the inside - I have mostly seen just traditional but not sure if the look can be achieved when designing in the "design center".
It also seems all new developments have an HOA - I would prefer not to have one
  • April 09 2011 - Denton
  • 0

Hi There CJKA,
I see one of your requests A LOT!  No HOA.  That is until I take buyers to an area without an HOA....

I understand wanting a little freedom to do what you want, but living in the city, with many, many other people in close proximity just screams for the need of some basic rules.

If you're going to plop down $200k, do you want the neighbor keeping a boat on the front yard?  How a billy goat tied to the front tree?  That boat, did I mention it MAY not even be on a trailer? 

I am not making this up.  Just something to think about....

Finding an agent, should be easy.  First, ask friends and relatives that you TRUST if they have any recommendations.  If that fails, look up some local agents in the zip code that you may be interested in.  Zillow now allows their previous clients to write reviews.  Check these out.  You can also review what they agents have been writing about here on zillow under their profile.  This will give you some insight into their knowledge, not just their ability to talk you into working with them.

Hope this helps!

You need to know about 99 percent of the new subdivison built anywhere in the DFW area will have an HOA so finding one without one will take some reasearch. Since you are looking in Denton the bigger issue than the HOA are the prevalance of MUD (municipal utility districts) where the builder puts in the infrastructure for the streets and utilities and they do not pay for it. You have the privilege of doing so via a tax of about 1 dollar per hundred in assessed value. This adds up to about an 1000 or so per year per hundred thousand of property value.

WOW, what an exciting time!  Thanks for your question.

Go to the reviews or find a Realtor section here on Zillow and look up a Realtor that has good reviews.  If you can not find one, I can refer you to one that holds some quality designations.

Good luck and I hope this helps!