Investing in Real Estate to Meet Financial Goals

Are you currently investing in real estate?  Investors have historically invested in real estate to meet their financial goals.  If you are new to real estate or an experienced investor, share your thoughts on investing in real estate to meet financial goals.
  • December 12 2011 - Houston
  • 0

I'm not an investor; I am a Realtor.  However, I totally agree with you!

If I bought for investment purposes in 2006 I would be far from happy. House prices overall are still dropping.

The only way to buy a house for investment purposes is to make money renting it out after all expenses and average maintenance costs are included.

My first thought is to interview the agent that you are planning on hiring to see if they understand and participate in real estate investment before you take advice from them.

Ask them how they feel about their purchases over the last several years, ask them about rent/income ratios, ask them about vacancy rates and ask them about the employment outlook for that local area. If they have trouble answering or tell you that they are currently underwater on any of their own properties, you may want to interview another real estate agent.

Investors are having a field day in my area right now.  Is it possible they lose their shirt, of course.  Is it possible they don't lose their shirt and make a killing, of course.  Every successful venture is always better with a little luck.

Good Luck

Profile picture for Moknowshomes
I have clients investing in properties by taking advantage of the current market, fixing them up to rent and building equity at the same time.  It is exciting to help them reach their goals!

I'm both an investor and a Realtor in the greater Houston area and I have to say that one would be hard pressed to find a better area.

Things to keep your eye on when investing in real estate: 
Equity Capture (Capital Gain)
Return on Capital Gain
Cash out of pocket
Loan Terms
Cash on Cash return
and of course Cash Flow.

It's gonna be a great year for investors in Houston.  They are almost exclusively the clients I work with.

If you are interested in investing the Houston real estate market, contact me.   I'll be more than happy to help.

I'm a realtor and I own a couple properties myself. I strongly believe in real estate. There are 2 types of investors: one is buying a property and rent it out, the other one is buing something in bad shape, fix it up and sell for profit. The first one is slower and more conservative way to invest, the second one is riskier, but might have a bigger and faster return. If you look at long term and thinking about purchasing $100,000 property think of it this way. 20% for downpayment and rent covers the mortgage and extra. Where else are you going to invest $20,000 get some money everymonth AND  after you sell your property which was paid off by tenants get at least $100,000?