Profile picture for peaceinmind

Is 2nd Home loan with 10% down in Bend, OR possible?

I am trying to purchase a 2nd home for rental investment in Oregon. I was told that currently for all investment property (since its rental), at least 20% needs to be down payment. I was wondering if i could do with a less down? credit excellent and able to show income.

January 16 2010 - Bend

You will need minimum 20% down.

lite documentation 6 months bank statements
15% down
6 months reserves

Excellent response to your question from jonestim.

It appears you are not in a financial position to take on this responsibility. Allowing time to work for you is usually a blessing. Wait until you are at the right moment. .... Best wishes, Rudi

Profile picture for jonestim
>While I don't know what the rental market is in Bend, I do find myself wondering how a rental would cash flow with less than 20% down.

There seems to be tons of rentals sitting empty, some with vacancies for months.    Rents have dropped in the last year, often by $100-$200 per property. 

It looks like we are going to hit a new record for Notices of Default in a month.  The highest before was 335 in July '09, but January is shaping up to have more than 400.    

The bottom is far from reached here in Bend.   I would think that even with 20% down, unless someone was getting an exceptional deal, a buyer today will end up underwater at some point in the next few years.

If it doesn't pencil out including taxes and maintenance and some vacancies then you would probably be better off waiting another year or two until we are closer to the bottom.

I would be surprised if a traditional lender would make such a loan. without a lot of cross collateralization.  Hard money lenders might do it, but even they would want some cross collateral.

While I don't know what the rental market is in Bend, I do find myself wondering how a rental would cash flow with less than 20% down.