Profile picture for jawooten

Is Burke Law Center a legitimate loan modification company?

• January 22 2012 - Excelsior Springs
  • 0

Burke Law did absolutely nothing for me to modify my loan.  My bank negotiated a lower paymen on its own.  I paid them $3500.00 for nothing!  Two and a half years later (Today) I get another call from them saying they negotiated a lower payment and interest with my bank.  I was supposed to send the first payment via Western Union  to Steven Merchand the officer in charge, and it had to be done tomorrow (on a saturday) or the deal would not go thru!

Not a chance in Hell! I asked the man (of india decent) a lot of questions that were hard for him to answer.  He even got mad!!!!! and finally hung up!

Watch these people they are very sharp and tricky!

Mr. Burke shows as currently licensed by the NJ Bar license number 030661998 so I would file a complaint with them ASAP.

If you have an issue with Brian Burke, I would also contact the other BAR's where he held licenses. Try the IL State Bar and the CA State Bar. Many BAR's have a fund to compensate clients who were harmed by the illegal or unethical activity of their members.

Call the IL and CA BAR and let them know that Mr. Burke is still representing himself as a licensed attorney online in their state. Tell them that he took your money and is not able to be found by you. Ask to file a complaint. 

The BARs may be able to help you especially since he seems to still be around.

i paid 2700.00 they did not do a shi...t now i want my money back and theirs phone are descannected. Can does anyone knows the new phone number?

To anyone who has had a bad experience with Burke Law Center, I would suggest filing a complaint against Mr. Brian Burke IL license number 03066198 to get it addressed and leaving an honest review on a site like Avvo.com for other consumers about your experience.

Burke Law Center currently has an F rating with the BBB. You should not pay any company for a loan modification upfront. 

The FDIC here recommends that homeowners NOT pay anything upfront. They have actively prosecuted many businesses in the industry here.

.

Profile picture for COKEEFE4
They are not a ligitimate company.  There is no attorney licensed in IL named Brian Burke.  I have referred the case to the State's Attorney's office for review.  Also only licensed in NJ as an out of state attorney licensed in IL.  There is plenty of free help out there.  If you cant meet with the person, then good chance it is a scam. 

I would try to find better.I was denied my loan modification 7 months ago and in the contract we signed if you are denied a loan modification they refund anything paid over 1500. We call and never get through and when we do we are told the same excuse over again,somebody is working on your account. I'm constantly denied access to speak to someone who is in charge of my refund and I'm told they will send a email to let them know Ive called again. Please find better ..

Do NOT undertake any attempts at loan modification with these people.  In my opinion, based upon what I have learned from others, they are NOT a good source; and instead are selling themselves far and away beyond what they state they deliver.
If you don't have the time or where with all to perform some of your own research on the loan modification process, then seek help from the folks at the home ownership assistance groups that are legitimate and underwritten by the HUD, etc.  I would suggest the following site:

http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov

Profile picture for CharlesSmith18
So heres the latest update with my situation. After i left numerous messages and emails that i would involve my house consul for breach of contract, I had a so called compliance manager call me from Burke to see if they can work through the issues i had with my processor.  He assured me that he would handle my case 100% and if the remod was not accepted i would get back my fee.  I sent him the documents again that he requested, but now have not heard from him either through email or phone.  Forget about calling them on the phone, no one ever answers and it just hangs up on you after 30 minutes of holding.  I am lucky enough to have a law team working at my company and they are ready to do what is necessary to get back my money (3495.00 to be exact).  This whole process is now going into the 8th month.  It may be a tough road but this breach and unkept promises by Burke Law Center must be stopped.

I JUST tried calling them again and no response.. This company is the worst. I've personally worked with them in regards to my job.. and they are NOT helping home owners. Example: I have an approved modification for one of the persons they represent and the man that works at this " law center" didnt even know if the borrowers recvd the documents and knew nothing of the account ( which we have been working on for months together).. The representative hasnt even returned our calls for an entire month. This is the reason why people just need to contact their bank/lender and just complete everything with the bank one on one.Im so frustrated,. I cant even call the homeowners myself and tell them because the law center put a "do not call " on this account- which the borrowers probably dont even know about, but usually sign because its with the authorization.

Profile picture for CharlesSmith18

I have had one of the worst experiences by far with Burke Law center.  My propery resides in Long Island, NY.  I received their mailer in the mail and decided to give them a call.  After a brief interview of my finances by someone who was not a lawyer but just an assistant, he told me I was a great canditate for both my 1st and 2nd loan re-modifications.  I then was told i needed to send them 3950.00 (2 payments of about 2000K each) and that if the modification did not go through for any reason i would get back all but 1500 (this was stated in the contract that i have documented with them). 

I then got them all the paperwork timely (within first week) and was then assigned a processor.  This is when the horror began.  6 months later none of my paperwork was filed with my bank and i had received a denial letter for the HAMP from my bank for lack of paperwork.  At no time was i informed by my processor that anything was wrong or missing.  He was almost impossible to reach (constant busy signals, on hold for hours and then either cutoff or went to voice mail), etc.  Tried emailing them, got responses at time from him and the orginal assistant that helped me, but always told me my file was moving along perfectly and there was nothing to worry about.  When i finally got a hold of the assistant and told him what my bank had said, he told me they were full of s__t and that banks do this all the time.  However, after speaking directly with the home preservationalist specialist at the bank i saw that they were sincere and that they never did receive anything from the processor, nor could they even reach him (the number the processor left was an 800 number with no extension.  The bank would sit on hold for hours waiting to get through)

I finally decided to deal with my bank directly and within 2 weeks it is already in underwriting.  Although it is no guarantee that i will get the remodification on the 1st mortgage, I suggest everyone out there take a moment to rethink hiring anyone and laying out money to do this process for you.  It isn't as hard as these companies make it out to be, and you are less likely to get ripped off like i did.  I will be having my house counsel sue the Burke Center for return of all my money, but we all know what a battle that will be.

I just started doing business with them because at this point our lender, BAC, are not being the most helpful at all. Being behind on mortgage payments and paying so much every month is quite tough. At this point, we are hoping they can help us. Anyone else with other success stories with this company or not?!? Need more opinions...

I had a subject who had a Writ Of Restitution, the sheriff was going to throw her out of the house. She called these guys off a tv add on a 1-800-number and they said they would save her house and to give them $700.00.
I called them to see if they were a scam. they said they are not a scam but would not give me an attorney to talk to. The male who I had been referred to, I was told, had just gone home for the day. this was at 830 in the morning. All subjects had heavy Indian accents and it sounded like a call center in the background. The aggressive male who I spoke to told me the Sheriff could not throw me(her) out of the house they would need to take other steps. He did not know what a Writ of Restitution was, but not to worry. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! I AM A SHERIFF AND I DID REMOVER HER FROM HER HOME AS I WAS ORDERED TO BY THE SUPERIOR COURT ORDER/WRIT OF RESTITUTION. DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE GIVE YOU BAD ADVISE. GET A REAL LAWYER OR MAKE SURE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT AND THAT THEY ARE EVEN ABLE TO HELP YOU IN THE CITY IN WHICH YOU LIVE. GOOD LUCK!

If Burke is an attorney referral service only, then they should have no issues providing the license number for the referred attorney upfront before any fee is paid.

I understand, but people need to be careful. The Alabama State Bar site here has no listing for Mr. Paul not that they would if he was a just processor. I am sincerely glad that you got what you needed from this company.

But... when I hear the word "retainer" used as a consumer I want a state license number attached to an attorney to back it up. So far, that is information that potential clients who posted here have had trouble getting for Burke Law Center. At least with a licensed attorney, homeowners with complaints can go directly to the Bar without having the chase down business in another state in court. 

Even the FDIC here recommends that homeowners NOT pay anything upfront and the FTC has actively prosecuted many businesses in the industry here. You can't be too careful because many homeowners have lost money to "loan modification businesses" that collected fees upfront.  

Profile picture for MamaJenkins

Ben Paul was my legal processor, an assistant as i understand. He kept me updated on what was going on and if i needed to give more infomation. I'm live in AL so i wouldn't think the MO bar woudl apply to my situation. I just wanted to share that i paid for a service and received the help i was looking for. I tried on my own and couldnt get anywhere. When I called OCWEN all i got were foreign employees that i could never understand. At least with Burke I got to speak to someone I could understand and explained what they were doing with my documents when i sent them in.

Thanks for info and I am glad to hear that your bank worked with you.  There was concern from others on this thread that the lawyer they spoke with was not in fact licensed. I think that people do need to be careful and check out he license information before they hand over ANY money or sign any contract.

Would you mind telling everyone who handled your specific case or who you paid the retainer to at Burke Law Center since Benjamin Paul is not listed with the MO Bar? 

Profile picture for MamaJenkins

I enrolled with Burke Law Center 2 months ago and i have already been approved for an in-house modification with my lender OCWEN in about 45 days! I was extremely skeptical about this company because i've heard a lot of rumors about people getting scammed by Home assistance programs out there so of course i did my research. Once they approved my file they sent me a legal contract and of course i brought that contract over to my brother-in-law (who is a criminal defense attorney), he confirmed that the contract was legitimate, so afterwards, My husband and I signed the contract and faxed it back. After i paid the retainer fee to the firm, i was immediately contacted by my assigned processor Benjamin Paul. I must say, he was extremely dedicated to my specific file. I did have to send financial information in order for them to support my case but because i was taken advantage by my lender and was given a balloon mortgage with my interest rate at 8%, when I first purchased the home, he told me I'd be fine. When Ben called me and told me that i had been approved for a 2.5% interest rate, I was floored. My payment used to be 1467.00 a month and it dropped to 749.00 a month! All i can say is that they truly saved me and my family! - Brenda Jenkins

Profile picture for pookie27
I got a call from a Mr Ryan Myer from Burke Law and he wanted a total of $3400 hundred, when I ask him a license number,he said he will send it to my email address, and and less then 2 second pass when his manager called and stated he had no way in knowing which attorney will be working my case to get a license number,therefore I told him not to call me again.
This company can't be right.  Be carefully out there.  Have any one completed business with this company.

I would skip any mod company that new and any that asked for up front fees. Too scary and the aggressive tactics and multiple numbers would be a red flag for me.

If you are still considering them, I would get the information/license numbers for the law license of the attorneys working for Burke. Ask where they went to law school. Then go to the MO Bar website to see if they are legally practicing and to look for any complaints.

Profile picture for Caveat Emptor
formed or registered only last month 12/2011

ba bye

there are plenty of them out there, go with someone who at least has been around since 2010.

Profile picture for jsteybe
I also am researching the Burke Law Center.  They may be legitimate, but they are asking for $3,000 up front, and are very aggressive. 

http://burkelawcenter.com/
 on whois.com is registererd to Domains by Proxy, LLC.

The BBB shows no complaints, but also no history because they formed or registered only last month 12/2011.  Their phone soliticors phone numbers are from all over the place (944-555-xxxx) , and the Burke Law phone number 888-908-6935 given me by an agent googles to a MacArthur Finanical Group in Naperville IL. 

If they are a scam, they sure have done a great job of setting up a backdrop, and sound knowledgeable about what they do. 

More than likely if you did not solicit them, then you should carefully check them out on line and see what you can find out and or the BBB check will be helpful;  You should not pay any money for a loan modification unless you have already tried to work with your bank directly and exhausted all other resources that do not charge you for this work; there are too many agencies that are out there to help homeowners today that do not take a fee from you to do the work.  
just do a little homework before you make your decision.
good luck; 
elisa mullins.