Profile picture for Soup2010

Is Phoenix a stable area to buy for a second income property?

December 09 2011 - Phoenix

You bet!  The people who, unfortunately, are losing their homes need places to live and are having to turn to rentals.  While a lot of investors have bought in the valley, there are pockets where rental demands are still quite high.  

I presently own 8 investment properties in Phoenix. There are opportunities here, but do not believe the hype and vague statements on this post.

Vacancy rate. Currently, the metro has a vacancy rate of around 10%. This is a pretty bad vacancy rate, and means getting homes rented is challenging. It is improving, from last years 12%, but anything over about 7% makes land lording a tough business, and price increases impossible.

rents are stable, currently. This is a huge improvement over 2 years ago, when they were dropping swiftly. NOTE they have not recovered all the value they have fallen. I am renting places for their 10 year ago rents, though I do have all of them rented.

rents in phoenix are very low. I rent 3/2 condos for 750 to 900 depending on their location, and my places are always better upgraded then the competition, because that is what I do. I have the skills to do this cheaply, you do not want to compete with me if you are hiring workers on a unit near me, you will be spending much more money. 

In many parts of this valley, homes are for rent so cheap that it would make any price a tough prospect. Places like queen creek, maricopa, far east suburbs all around the valley, 2000 ft^2 homes are for rent under $1000. The cost and time to repaint, recarpet, after a tenant left, and the high vacancy rates in these areas would make renting difficult even if someone gave you the home. 

I have lived here and invested here for 20 years. I know the market. An out of towner could easily get seduced by apparent prices and rents, and then end up taking an utter beating on investments here, especially if paying a property management company too. 

Yes, the rental market is very lucrative.  Most rental homes are only on the market for a few days because of the high demand.  This rental demand is created because of the number of people that have gone through short sales or foreclosures and cannot qualify for a home loan.....their only option is to rent.  Currently you can purchase some great homes for great prices and have them rented out making money within 30 days or less! 

It is a tough market for current homeowners who want to see a home but for an investor it is a golden market.  If you are looking for income in the real estate market Phoenix, AZ is the place to be.

I have more investor and second home buyers than owner occupants in the Phoenix market. The rents are very stable in most areas as are the home prices.

Yes...in fact, there's a great blog regarding local market conditions and the "bottom of the market" on my website.

It certainly is,
[self promotion and contact information deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please refer to our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]