Is Video REDUCING the Number of Showings You Get?

I've been videoing properties that I list long before it was the popular thing to do but over the last 3-5 years, I'm noticing a large number of online hits compared to a very small number of showings. The bright side of this is that many of my listings sell after only a few actualy showings. What does this mean? Sellers that allow their agent to video their homes and publish multiple photos will likely get fewer showings. Buyers would rather start their search online to rule out the ones that don't appeal to them. Videos really help in most cases. It is important to remember that the agent that is videoing and photographing your home is not working LESS simply because they have fewer showings. What has really happened is: your home is not being shown to MORE consumers and really every physical showing has got a much STRONGER chance of resulting in an offer. Ultimately, when the agent calls to say that a showing is scheduled (for homes with videos and multiple photos), be sure to have EVERY DETAIL in order from the driveway, to the front door, to the dust on the top of the fridge...every detail. The buyer coming to your home already saw it once on;ine and want to make sure it is as nice or BETTER in person.
  • December 29 2011 - US
  • 1

Good post. I started 30 years ago in sales with a full day of  'caravaning' properties once a week, much of which was a waste of time. Videos and photos make home buying simply more efficient especially for newer agents.

Statistics from my broker suggest that 80 plus percent of home buyers begin their home search on the internet. It wasn't that long ago that the only access to homes was through MLS books which were the domain of brokers / agents. Even the use of real estate advertising in newspapers has fallen dramatically in the last five years.

Locally, our MLS increased the number of photos per listing from 10 to 16 (although the first 4 are the most critical based on how the photos paginate on MLS).

On my most recent listing I took upwards of 160 plus photos in order to place 15 online. And for the first time I used panoramic photos to show the true view of each room. But I think my photos actually drove buyers to the listing as I had a ton of showings. It was only environmental factors that prevented the home from selling more quickly.

As a side note, real estate website Curbed.com has their list of the top 'worst photo listings of the year'.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Now if you can just get Buyers Agents to stop pushing buyers to look at properties that don't meet the buyers criteria you can make your sellers (and buyers) lives even easier.  I have no idea why sellers would ever have want to clean and prepare for showings that buyers with a little preliminary research know will not result in an offer.

if you can just get Buyers Agents to stop pushing buyers to look at properties that don't meet the buyers criteria

Like stop showing clients homes that are six blocks from the airport and the client doesn't like airplane noise?

Or......showing a client a 2 story home when the client wants a rambler?

Sometimes I wish I owned a gas station where agents bought their gas. With the needless trips alone I could make a fortune.

I appreciate good good photos and some videos are ok, but many are too slow for my taste or glitchy (although faster technology has made many better). Some nice photos and a floor plan is always appreciated. That is what gets me out to see a listing in person.

Usually the video tours just make me dizzy. It never looks like that to me in real life.

I want a plat, I want a floorplan. I want dimensions. Some nice pictures are nice. Do NOT add music to the video if you must have a video. I may hate that kind of music and ignore the listing on account of that.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I want good photos and a dimensioned floor plan also.  I have no use for agent or owner produced "video".  Even professional video does not appeal to me.

The stills are the only place I can see the detail I'm looking for.  It still amazes me that 1/2 the agents ruin those.  It is their biggest marketing tool, and very inexpensive with digital, so why they choose to post poor quality photos, I have no clue.  Some recent ones I saw on this site had water spots all over the camera lens.  And one person that claimed they were a good agent because of their photos posted some sideways.

I think it's extremely hard to take a good video of even a well-prepared home, whereas professional photos usually show homes extremely well and allow the viewers to look at rooms at their preferred speed.  When it comes to video for showing homes, I think it's a case of "just because it's there and it seems like a tech thing we should jump on" doesn't mean the final result is more desirable to the viewer or effective as a sales tool.

I have had professional video and photography done for every single one of my listings since 2006.  

"Curb appeal" of yesterday is "WEB APPEAL" today.  How your listing looks online is so vitally important as that is the first impression a buyer gets of your home.  And with video, at least for me, it's a FIRST SHOWING.  My video tours are REAL video, not zooming still pictures or stitched, distorted "virtual tours".  They are an actual "walk through the home"... up the stairs, down the hallways, around the neighborhood, etc.

Does that mean less in person showings?  Possibly.  But if someone isn't interested, I'm not wasting my time, the buyer's time, and more importantly, my seller's time in preparing the home for a non qualified showing.

If someone makes an appointment to see the home, it's a SECOND SHOWING.  It doesn't get much more qualified than that!