Is a credit repair company helpful?

Our credit scores are low because of old outstanding bills and no recent borrowing. We have paid off all of the outstanding bills, and we are taking action to get some secured cards. We are wondering if a credit repair company can help us improve our score and get us in the home we want sooner. Who is legitimate? How can you check them out?

October 27 2011 - Sapulpa

Cindy,

It sounds like you are on the right track to credit repair on your own. You are doing all of the right things. You will be surprised how quick your credit will jump. I do not have much experience with credit repair companies, but I have worked with several buyers with low credit and have helped but them on the right track. Also, lenders can offer you great advice to help raise your credit score and all it takes it a no charge phone call.What I'm getting at is that I don't feel that you should pay anyone to help you as they are not going to magically give you a great credit score.

If you would like I can give you the names of some great lenders in the area.

Ashley McDonald
[moderator deleted contact information, please refer to good neighbor policy]

Cindy, I completely agree with Ashley.  The trick is finding someone that know what to do.  The credit repair companies tend not to know a lot about mortgages (my experience anyway) and a lot of mortgage lenders don't know about credit repair.  As Ashley mentioned, you do need additional credit - especially revolving credit.  If you get an unsecured card or two, make sure the balance is at $10 when your credit is run.  Don't pay it off and don't have higher balances.  This is where you will optimize your score.

Good luck.  Tom

@ Tom I am curious. Why is it advantageous to have your balance on your secured card at $10 when the credit is run? I had never heard of that, but would like to hear more about it.

Profile picture for shawderek
Cindy,
It can be advantageous for you to go through a credit repair company. The older an item typically is, the more success comes in removing it off the report as well.
As with anything, there are good mortgage lenders and bad mortgage lenders, there are also good credit repair companies and bad credit repair companies.
Do your own research. Make sure they have been around for awhile and have recent proven results as well as older ones. Be very weary if they are a flat rate company and if they give you a price before reviewing a copy of your credit report. How do you know if someone can help you without reviewing a report?
Feel free to message me with any questions.

A credit company cannot do anything for you that you cannot do for yourself with the help of a knowledgable broker. They cannot remove legitimate negatives that the consumer can't, they cannot magically raise your score without you being willing to make changes in your usage pattern or ratios and they cannot do anything that you cannot find out how to do on your own.

There is a lot of information that is free and improving your credit on sites like myFICO.com and others. I guess if it were me, I would focus in the free improvement and information first before looking for a credit repair company.

Profile picture for shawderek
Following off of sunnyview, yes you can do everything yourself if you have the knowledge and experience of all the federal and state laws in place regarding credit. It is also true that credit repair companies cannot remove accurate and legitimate negatives. The burden of proof on any account lies with them, not the consumer. 70% of all credit report contain errors as well.

You can represent your self in court, cut your own hair, fix your own car, and do many things yourself. When you want something done right the very first time, you go to the experts in their field.

I may hire a professional to fix my engine, but I do not hire them to replace the wiperblades on my car. Most credit problems have to do with things that the consumer can readily research and dispute or get corrected on their own without paying anyone.

My point is that consumers should do what they reasonably can before they pay any company. I think that advice applies to real estate, law, hair and credit and if you know nothing going when you hire a professional, you are risking a lot.

Profile picture for shawderek
I agree with your point sunnyview. However, how can you do what you can reasonably do if you don't know what's wrong? 

Sure if it's something easy like wiperblades, that's simple. If your car is making a funny noise don't you need to look under the hood? 

When it comes down to it, find a good lender who can point you in the right direction of where to go. Be weary of quick fix programs, guaranteed 700 programs, and flat rate programs. Most flat rate companies conduct simple disputes, now that is something you can do and get the same results.

As always, do your own research first.

"However, how can you do what you can reasonably do if you don't know what's wrong?" -

"As always, do your own research first." -

You answered your own question... the information is all available with simple searches, and Sunnyview already gave a good reference source.

Besides, even if "fixed" by someone else, until one changes habits to maintain a higher FICO score, the score will just drop down again, thus it is better to first learn what affects the scores, and then take the effort to make those changes.  Then one learns by doing.

Only by internalizing these life pattern changes will one be able to maintain a good credit rating and have the access to resources and good rates that a good credit rating provides.

Honestly, here is what I am finding out. It is harder than hell to get a mortgage person to give you any time and effort if they don't believe they are going to write you a mortgage anytime soon....even the damn bank where we have about $10,000 in checking and close to $70,000 in savings. And yes, I am trying to educate myself. But in reality, I keep getting conflicting advice when and if people actually return my phone calls. As far as correcting the "habits" that got us in this situation, I've paid everyone I owe and am working on doing some credit, including secured lines of credit and borrowing against a CD. But when a system actually penalizes you for paying old debt, it is obviously pretty damn complicated for the average consumer to understand.
I do kind of feel like having someone I'm paying to be in my corner to give me good expert advice would be nice on something this important. And since I've come to believe that I'm dealing with an industry sadly over run with a lot of overly pretentious, self centered, greedy, and even themselves poorly informed people....I'll take all the opinions I can get, thank you. No offense, Pasadenan, but this isn't a teach a man to fish as opposed to feed a man fish situation....it's more like trying to unravel the DNA of fish with no scientific training.

I understand your point and I also understand the comment about lenders. The low rates have made a pile on many lenders desks right now. If they don't think that they can add you to their pile, they can be slow to respond. That's not just you, that's where everyone without an pending contract is just about.

Thee is a lot of information about credit out there. You can target areas for improvement and work on that a piece at a time. Sites like MyFico, bankrate and other articles may help you understand how to work the system to improve your score and get ready to buy. It takes time, but a plan can improve your credit for free. There are basic tips here with links that might help.

and a lot of mortgage lenders don't know about credit repair. 

we know enough to deny the loan if you come to us after using a "credit repair" company.  (not the same as a legitimate HUD approved or true non-profit credit counselor)

Profile picture for shawderek
Cindy,
Great job on educating yourself. You are in the same boat as MANY of the people I deal with daily.

Things right now for you are good it seems, other than your credit. Your credit score is hurting from outstanding bills in the past.  

The misconception of paying outstanding collections/chargeoffs is that it should be removed and help your score increase. As you have experienced, this is not the case. A paid collection and an unpaid collection is a collection account nonetheless affecting your credit score in a negative way. 

I have dealt with many mortgage lenders as well. If you have bad credit they won't even give you the time of day, others will help guide you and let you know what you need to do. 

I keep reading and reading and most of the advice doesn't apply to us because we don't need to pay down any loans or balances since we don't have ANY open accounts. So it seems the only real things I can do are opening new accounts. I'm wondering how long it will take of borrowing money I don't need will raise my credit scores? Let's say I take out two secured credit cards and get a loan or "something" which is secured by a CD...at what point can I expect to see a climb. Again, we don't owe anything...and don't have any open accounts. Also, I don't see any erroneous information to deal with on the reports.

Profile picture for shawderek
Cindy,
I would suggest going the secured credit card route. Each for $300. Never use more than 30% of the limit, so $90 maximum ever on each card.

Once you open a credit card, it takes typically 30-60 days to report on your report.

HSBC Orchard Card is great, Cap One also offers a great secured card too.

Profile picture for hpvanc
I think you are on the right track.  By reading everything you can you have been able to determine that there would be nothing legal that a credit repair company could do for you.  Open some loans for money you don't need, but it takes time to establish a new positive credit history.  There is a reason legitimate derogatory information does not magically disappear no matter what you or a credit repair company tries.

I suspect the greatest impact you can have on buying a house sooner, is maintaining your savings and having a large downpayment, and it sounds like you are well on your way in that regard. 

Hi there.

All excellent responses.  I'm of the opinion that you consider working with a reputable mortgage company to repair your credit *if* your intention is to purchase a home.  Your mortgage company should know what items will create the greatest benefit.  

Most reputable mortgage lenders can advise what to do based upon various pay-off scenarios.   In many cases, credit scores can be changed within days.

But, as said in previous posts, be careful to select a company who knows what they're doing.

John

How is it possible that credit scores "can be changed within days?" And how would one have a clue how to select "a company who knows what they're doing?" Is this super secret info or is it "legal" to share it with the consumers who could use it?
And yes, my intention is to purchase a home. I honestly don't need credit for anything else. If I want it, I can go buy it with actual money. *frustration*

Quiton.cindy:

Building credit requires time, so using those credit cards etc and paying off monthly etc will build it up.  

We own a home outright, so we don't get brownie points on our credit score for paying the mortgage.   The only way we maintain any credit score is by using our credit card and paying if off in full monthly.  It breaks my heart to buy groceries with a credit card, but I do it only to keep some semblance of credit score.  My humble opinion is that the credit scores can be punitive to those who live consistently within their means for years (such as you).

You can incrementally build credit. You can start by using a credit card for everyday purchases and paying it off at the end of the month. The lender that you use will want to see that you can handle your credit wisely so using 2-3 credit cards in rotation can help build over time. There are tips here from about on building your credit from the ground up.

If you build your revolving credit and your score, the addition of a mortgage that is paid on time will also help your score over time.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Let the so-called professional come back with more pertinent facts if there are any.  Unless you have errors on your credit report or high balances you can pay down, there is nothing legal you or a professional can do to raise your score substantially in a matter of days.

Also in spite of the advise of many "professionals" using credit judiciously (living well within your means) and paying all of your bills (including never carrying a credit card balance) can result in high credit scores.  Unfortunately it takes time, and you are in a situation where you are being forced to start it with secured cards which slows the process even more.  You also mentioned taking out a loan secured against a CD, from my limited knowledge this should speed things up a little since it will give you a history based on an installment loan as well as revolving credit.

As with most things, there is no magic pill to fix it immediately.  It takes time and effort, and marketers that say otherwise are just taking your money for telling you what you want and making you feel good for a few moments, yet never achieving the desired results and often make the original problem worse in the process.

Good luck.

One reason it is hard to get decent credit repair advice is because the scoring model, with all its intricacies, vagaries,and penalties, is secretive in order to eliminate manipulation. Any time you are told to do this, or do that, it is because it has appeared to work in other cases. It may or may not help you. I tend to agree that the model is not optimized to reward people who use credit in the most limited and responsible ways possible. To me this is exemplified by the fact that an account with a thirty percent balance may make your score better than one you have recently paid down to zero. The scoring models appear to be optimized for people that make banks money, otherwise a guy who has money in the bank, and no credit, would have a perfect credit score. Wetdawgs wouldn't have to use his Visa in the grocery store if the model was actually logical.

Well, I'm just going to do the things I mentioned and wait and see. I just hope interest rates stay down so that I can still afford a home in a six months to a year.
I personally would be curious to know who has higher forclosure rates, people putting down a lot of their own hard earned money (regardless of credit scores) or people getting into 100% financed homes? Anyone know of any data available concerning this? My curious mind would like to know.

Also, what's been said about the algorithims being secretive and complicated....Well that just seems to me to make it more likely that there are companies that have studied them and who will "for a price" help you apply that knowledge to your credit. It would certainly pay off in the long run on a mortgage, considering those with better scores get better interest rates.

That's true, but the information is available and is not something that you have to pay for no matter what the credit repair companies are selling.

MyFICO had a truckload of information and the steps to improving your credit are pretty straightforward once you understand where the bulk of your score information is coming from and how that is looked at by the credit bureaus.

People getting 100% financed homes walked away a lot faster than those with a down both because as a group they were less financially responsible to begin with and because they were underwater faster than those who put their own money in. There is an interesting article here about that.

Profile picture for shawderek
You don't pay a company for their information, you can get that anywhere. You pay a company for their knowledge and their experience. Because they can do something better and quicker than you can do.

It's true there are certain ways to attack the negative items on a credit report. There are 5 laws that have been established to protect consumers' credit reports. Creditors and credit bureaus are legally obligated to produce documented evidence withing a reasonable amount of time to back the claims they make. If they cannot validate their claims, they must remove any undocumented information from the consumers' credit report. 

70% of all credit report contain errors!

That's all true, but disputes are no more complicated than calling or writing the bureau asking for the item to be removed. If it is legitimate, you might get lucky with the company reporting being too lazy to respond in that established timeline. In that case, the item is removed.

If it is a careless error, closed account, aged out account etc., many credit bureaus will make immediate changes with a simple phone call. Credit companies make money doing things that the average consumer can do if they have a smidge of knowledge and the ability to write a decent letter.

For more complicated issues, you may want to seek professional help in adjusting ratios, changing the way a specific account is reported etc. Those may take more insight and experience, but for the average report error or dispute a little reading and a follow up letter is all that is needed.

Profile picture for shawderek
Disputes are easy and can be definitely done by yourself and get the same results as many credit repair companies. These are the ones that have a flat-rate or advertise a price on the website. The reason why they are a flat-rate is because all they do is sent out generic disputes, which again is something you can do by yourself. This is usually done only at the credit bureau level.

A legitimate credit repair company does not just go to the credit bureaus. The bulk of the work must be done where the debt or late pay happened. I am also curious to what an average report error is?  

Here's some more percentages for you:  

29% of credit reports contain serious errors, false delinquencies or accounts that did not belong to the consumer that could result in the denial of credit.  

41% of credit reports contain personal demographic identifying info that was misspelled, long outdated, belonged to a stranger, or was otherwise incorrect 

20% of credit reports were missing major credit, loan, mortgage, or other consumer accounts that demonstrate the creditworthiness of the consumer 

26% of credit report contained credit accounts that had been closed by the consumer but incorrectly remained listed as open   

A credit repair company is not needed to resolve the issues you mention. I have dealt with many of those issues on my own report without any trouble, expense or major time invested. Why would a consumer pay for that if they knew how easy it was to deal with themselves. And yes I mow my own lawn too.

"29% of credit reports contain serious errors, false delinquencies or accounts that did not belong to the consumer.."

Ok so the consumer sends a letter to the credit reporting agency or contacts those companies directly asking for removal.

"41% of credit reports contain personal demographic identifying info that was misspelled, long outdated, belonged to a stranger, or was otherwise incorrect.." 

Ok so the consumer sends a letter asking for removal or correction some of these can actually be handled with a 5 minute phone call to the reporting agency and then an updated report gets sent back out at no cost to the consumer.

"20% of credit reports were missing major credit, loan, mortgage, or other consumer accounts that demonstrate the creditworthiness of the consumer.." 

Some accounts do not report to the credit bureaus, but you can ask if they will. If they refuse, there is nothing a consumer can do to force them report it. If it is an error that is it not showing, a letter or phone call to the company is an easy fix.

"26% of credit report contained credit accounts that had been closed by the consumer but incorrectly remained listed as open.." 

Ok so the consumer sends a letter to the credit bureau directly asking for removal  if it past the allowed date for reporting or if not, a notation saying "account closed at consumer request".

Is a credit repair company helpful?
Profile picture for Derek Shaw
Latest reply by Derek Shaw

1. 3422 W 161st St, Kiefer, OK Home For Sale
    3422 W 161st St, Kiefer, OK 74041

2. 1585 W Burnham Ave, Sapulpa, OK Home For Sale
    1585 W Burnham Ave, Sapulpa, OK 74066

3. 19708 W 105th St S, Sapulpa, OK Home For Sale
    19708 W 105th St S, Sapulpa, OK 74066