Profile picture for GerikDobish

Is buying land more of a risk for a lender causing more money down?

I want to purchase for personal use and possible investment in NY (where I live). Can I use other properties appraised above what is owed as collateral also?

• September 07 2013 - US

In my experience, it required a larger down payment. When I asked the lenders, the reasoning was that land is a bigger risk, as it is harder to get their money back (smaller pool of buyers) than property with an existing house.

I do not know about using other properties as collateral. My guess would be that lenders would want things "cleaner".