Profile picture for Shenanigans612

Is email sufficient to legally terminate a buyer exclusivity agreement?

I broke up with my Realtor about a month early last night. Nice lady, just not what we need right now and not in the area we ended up looking.

That said. She is 100% agreeable to termination and feels it's in both our best interests. We asked her for an Amendment to Exclusive Right to Represent Form but she said she doesn't think her brokerage has one of those forms and that her email trail including mutual consent to terminate is legally sufficient. She's going to see if her brokerage will give her said form though. If not, I'll ask my attorney, but...I'm curious if any of the Realtors on tap here have only used email as a means of ending a buyer exclusive right to represent contract before? 

She's turned out to not be super experienced, which is part of why we are going our separate ways. So I don't just want to take her word for it.

• November 01 2013 - US
  • 0

There must be language in the buyer agreement on cancellation.  Read it and do what it says.  If none, then make up your own form and get it signed.  The last thing you want is two  agents claiming commission on a property you are attemping to purchase. 

Profile picture for Shenanigans612
Thanks everyone. We used a form the agency has on file and everyone signed. Better safe than sorry. 

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
We don't have a specific form for that either.  I fired a buyer one time and drew an X over the signature page and signed cancelled, signed my name and the date.

In PA email is legal notice between agent and agent ,and agent and client.

I don't think email is sufficient, especially if she changes her mind and wants to fight you on this. I'd take the time to call her office manager and ask for a form, or drive over and sign one in person.

There is a Real Estate Form that should be filled out cancelling the buyer agency relationship.  Check that out.

I don't think a lawyer is needed. Just get her to draw up a termination agreement and all sign it. Likely she will not sue you and it could all be moot, but to protect yourself get an agreement in writing.

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew
Depends on the terms of the agreement and the cancellation clauses.  Email is a form of legal communication, the termination of the agreement will follow the clauses. 

I am not an attorney, verify everything with your attorney. 

No, an email is not sufficient. Always ask an attorney BEFORE there is a problem. Your Buyer Representation Form is legally binding. Get the cancellation in writing prior to making an offer on a property.