Profile picture for nath2chris6

Is it OK to put Rattan or wicker furniture in a living room?

August 26 2011 - Dacula

Profile picture for nath2chris6
Thank you very much.

I just bought a traditional home in Dacula GA (near ATL) and I want to have a tropical living room. I was thinking that wicker is the best way to go for a tropical look. I have a Berber carpet that I'm thinking about replacing with Brazilian cherry wood, I'm thinking Rattan or wicker would not look good on carpet. What do you think?

If you're thinking of putting this furniture in for yourself, and you like rattan and wicker furniture, I say go for it! Just be careful about scratching your floors (if you have wood floors) as wicker and rattan furniture sometimes has scratchy feet and can damage your floors.

If you're thinking about putting this furniture in for staging purposes, in preparation for selling your home, you might want to look at what neighborhood homes are doing. If you're in a house that has a "breezy" feel, is near the beach or has a relaxed feel, wicker or rattan might be the perfect complement to the home. If your home has a traditional feel, heavy velvet curtains and shag carpet, I'd say you should probably stay far away for the wicker and rattan as it won't match the rest of your home's decor and may confuse the house aesthetic in buyers' eyes.

Unless you're decorating for others or staging, you can do pretty much whatever you like. Others will tell you this-or-that, but they don't have to live in your house - or pay for the furnishings.

For a while, my living room and dining room were furnished with plastic lawn furniture. Very functional, very inexpensive, not much to look at.

It is fine to use rattan or wicker in a casual living room. Just make sure to keep everything in the space consistent with that casual theme. You can use some wood accents as well, as long as they are not heavy and overpowering in the room.

Decorating styles that work well with rattan/wicker are country, cottage, eclectic, tropical, coastal and beach. Wood or tile floors are a complimentary element, too.

Have fun!